wiring question

launter said:
Your comment "what do the instructions say" which was the advice you gave so sarcastically for my electrical problem was (unfortuantely for you) actually helpful

Well, you have proved a point. You are one of these folk who can't be bothered to read instructions so just posts an inane question instead.

BTW, I may be sarcastic now, but not when I post advice about reading instructions. So many don't. But a good 60% of queries can be sorted just by reference to them. So it is sound advice. Indeed, it helped even you. :LOL:

I might get you

Impossible. Absolutely no way! It can't happen. ;)

and then I'll have to add you to the number of "professionals" that have messed up my house.
How come so many "professionals" have messed up your house?

Is it because you don't see the point in paying a decent price for good quality work?

And why have you allowed it to happen more than once?? ;)

Sponsored Links
Balenza said:
Chri5 wrote

Same applies to housing, so when they decide to build a new treatment works (for all the excrement you write) adjacent to your property don't be surprised if a keen buyer asks for warranty and test / cert paperwork for all the work you've done.

As it happens their are a few large pits near my home for storing material of the anal kind.
Though I doubt if they are large enough to hold all the carp you write. ;)

meow- your retort is soooooo funny :rolleyes:

Your doing / done work outside the rules, on your own property. No doubt your using new colour wiring and date stamped switches and fuses.

So when they decide to update the meter to a new smart unit(1-3 years) and 'notice' your various works they may well ask for the EIC. When you can't give them the test schedules and the certificate hopefully they will either disconnect you or make you pay a princely sum of monies in fines and retro test and inspection costs.

Fortunately the laws have been designed to trap people like you and I can only hope that it's sooner rather than later, your attitude and disregard of good advise given stinks.

I would imagine that none of your work have ever been tested and checked correctly- hopefully it's safe enough for your family to use without fear of injury or worse.

You might as well go now, there's little point in you posting on DIYnot, since your clearly so much more knowledgeable than any professional that offers help within this site :D

Securespark wrote
Well, you have proved a point. You are one of these folk who can't be bothered to read instructions so just posts an inane question instead.

Another point well made. We could say
you are missing the point entirely.
I didn't have the instructions, the supplier hadn't given any and I had to contact phoenix direct to get them or did you fail to understand what I typed. Clearly! I wonder if that also applies to your electrical skills

And why have you allowed it to happen more than once??
Because I actually work during the day, strange huh ? I don't watch over them but your right maybe I should do but unfortunately its not worth it to take a day off work. There is only so many times you can get someone to come back and rectify their work beyond which it becomes a major hassle.

Is it because you don't see the point in paying a decent price for good quality work?
I think because the demand is so high electrcians are over charging which is probably why people on this site are resorting to DIY which I'm sure (as displayed by Chris and his scare stories) is not what electrcians would want.

hi

you say electricians are overcharging because demand is high, to become fully qualified takes a lot of time and because of the experiance gained electricians who have the correct qualifications are expensive as you are paying for the experiance, it sounds like you have been stung by guys calling themselves electricians but witthout the experiance or qualifications to back it up, and yes it does happen there are alot of guys out there doing yee ha work, but it doesn't excuse the fact that regulations have been put in place to clamp down on people doing whatever they want to there electrical systems because they think its easy to do or just cheaper, regulations are there to work to for the safety of everybody involved, and as reading this topic it is frustrating to see blatent disregard by some who think they know better, as most will agree its not about doing your work and getting the money its advice for what you are attempting and what the regulations state, the trouble is your trying to argue your point with guys who are mostly all qualified to various levels and know what we are talking about, if you choose to disregard the advice thats fine but you have been warned.

Sponsored Links
Why do people keep spouting about regulations when DIY electrics is LEGAL after application through the BCO. Its ridiculous, you just don't seem to get the argument no matter how many times its typed out. Perhaps you think that if you go on about it, you will confuse the issue enough and DIY'ers will think they can't do their own. Is this a DIY forum or NOT? Would you join a motorbike club and then go round telling all the members not to ride because its dangerous.

Concerning Balenzas "disregard" perhaps some of the people who express such (although I may be wrong) are merely playing devils advocate going to the opposite extreme as the electricians who give us their dogmatic and patronising ranting of regulations. Apply to the BCO is the only advice needed.Chris would have us believe that DIY electrics is a supreme hazard and only a fool would undertake. Thankfully thats not the law and Chris is not a politician. If all electrical DIY was made illegal you electricians would surely have us all by the b*lls.

Lastly could someone explain why there seems to be a trend for electrcians to type at the end of their message "you have been warned" or "you have been told". It seems a little odd

launter said:
Why do people keep spouting about regulations when DIY electrics is LEGAL after application through the BCO.

Because not complying with those regulations and guidelines can be extremely hazardous and has in the past proved fatal.

I have seen too many installations that work so are considered to be safe but have serious faults due to the installer not being aware of the dangers of his or her working practises.

Chri5 wrote

Your doing / done work outside the rules, on your own property.

Yep. Have you got a problem with that ?

No doubt your using new colour wiring and date stamped switches and fuses.

And what if I aint. Will that make the installation dangerous ? I doubt it.

So when they decide to update the meter to a new smart unit(1-3 years) and 'notice' your various works they may well ask for the EIC. When you can't give them the test schedules and the certificate hopefully they will either disconnect you or make you pay a princely sum of monies in fines and retro test and inspection costs.

Carp :rolleyes:

Fortunately the laws have been designed to trap people like you and I can only hope that it's sooner rather than later, your attitude and disregard of good advise given stinks.

More carp. :rolleyes:

I would imagine that none of your work have ever been tested and checked correctly-

I hit the switch and the trip does the testing. What more do you need ?

hopefully it's safe enough for your family to use without fear of injury or worse.

As if you care. :rolleyes:

You might as well go now, there's little point in you posting on DIYnot, since your clearly so much more knowledgeable than any professional that offers help within this site

I know enough to diy my own electrics . Three connections. Live , Neutral and Earth. Its not exactly rocket science.

I hit the switch and the trip does the testing? That would be funny.........

Does the "trip" recognise a very high Zs in conjunction with no RCD and no bonding?

No, I thought not. :LOL:

I pity the end users of your installations. :cry:

I wonder if you have the same cavalier attitude to other areas of DIY?

Car maintenance, maybe, or gas installation?

Cracked discs & worn pads - "Well, I push the pedal and I stops, see?"

Leaking flue - "Well, I can't smell anything & what's the odd headache here & there? Never done me any lasting harm..."

:rolleyes:

securespark said:
Leaking flue - "Well, I can't smell anything & what's the odd headache here & there? Never done me any lasting harm..."

:rolleyes:

Perhaps that was the start of it all.........

So sad that it is seldom ever the "electrician" who is there when the earth continuity fails and some person dies as a result of the trip not operating in time.

Still some of those bodgers who have created a fatal accident do end up in court on manslaughter charges and get sent down.

It is also hard on the emergency services who have to cope with the injuries or break the news to a parent that their child has not survived.

Still there a are people out there who seem not to care about even their own families and continue to bodge. Sorry, I mean they use their perfect knowledge to save a few pennies.

the essential safety mechanism's on your car are checked annually by a member of a government regulated testing body.. so if you do it right then no problems..

this is also true of electrics.. if you get the LABC in to check you've done it right then no problems..

we're not saying you can't do it. just that it should be checked by someone to make sure it's done right..

we're not saying you can't do it. just that it should be checked by someone to make sure it's done right..

Thats the most encouraging post from a professional (presumably) I have read on this forum. :D

Launter:

Balenza:

Hello to both of you.

Quite a number of these guys are very helpful and willingly provide useful knowledge.

Unfortunately there are also the few who are on ego-trips. you are wasting your time tangling with such individuals.

I'm quite surprised that the most sarcastic, sneering, and self-opinionated individual of the lot 'Breezer' has failed to muscle in and attempt to denigrate both of you.

Just retain your self respect. Be proud of what you have achieved. Some individuals need to feed their egos by constantly displaying the little knowledge they know.

bauerjan said:
Just retain your self respect. Be proud of what you have achieved. Some individuals need to feed their egos by constantly displaying the little knowledge they know.

I think this post should be closed / locked. Such comments are inflammatory and really not very necessary.

People ask questions, professionals give reasonable, correct advise and the moment anyone mentions the 'rules' World War 3 breaks out.

Unfortunately we are governed by rules in the safety world we live in, rightly so when failure to do things correctly could result (and has) in death, injury, fire- frequently the person isn't the installer- It's the buyer of the property, a child or a 3rd party.

You harp on about 'self respect' and suggest that frequently the poster of the remark you don't like is a amateur or a pretend professional, that absolute twaddle.

If you don't like the advise given, you have the freedom to do as you wish. Just get going, get on with it and please don't start stirring things up. Doing so implies that you have a very small mind and that only makes you look bad / stupid.

Further to posts I made Lanter tried following me around the net, stalking and posting remarks on other forums I use.

Why, because the guy couldn't handle truth, couldn't handle words of wisdom and has a Bee in his bonnet about always being right. Strange that he chose to post here on a site, asking for advice when he obviously knows how to do anything that's thrown at him.

You have a beef with Breezer, sort it via PM and stop posting bile for no reason other than to stir things up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back