New socket for fridge freezer

I would like to agree with you, Winston, but unfortunately the definition by democracy department (i.e. 51% wrong becomes right) has already decided.
They have also decided that your definition of vacuum is correct, as short for vacuum cleaning, although it is a noun.

I've just had a quick henry; feel better now. Now going to electrolux some sembcorp and have a wedgewood of yorkshire.

Sponsored Links
I'll telephone you about that. Let me just pencil it into my diary for when it next rains. We can table it for the next Pedants' Association get-together. Some of them like to Verb a noun. Why should I shoulder the blame? Somebody should referee this.

No, you haven't quite got the hang of it.

Instead of 'telephone, pencil, diary, table and shoulder' you must use the names of the manufacturers.

Sponsored Links
SS -

Yes, but that is because someone has realised that enough people use the name wrongly and they have decided that that is what it now means.
It doesn't really, though, does it? Especially if you are using another make.
Is wicked innit?

Language does indeed evolve. I prefer to call it diminish.
As in this example, though, it is the result of mistakes which become so common that the definition becomes altered.

Apparently, boys used to be girls and cats used to be dogs.

Lets start a campaign and see how long it takes to get this
upload_2016-7-9_20-18-48.jpeg
to be renamed "Giraffe".

We's went for a picanic then all of a suddink there was giraffes crawlin all over me sandwiches.

I cannot help but wonder if pedant is a verb or a noun?
Actually, pedant will probably be redefined soon because people are predominately using it as a pejorative name for anyone who corrects their mistakes - not its true meaning.

I suppose school teachers are now pedants for putting crosses alongside pupils' wrong answers.

Some of us don't care about these things but some of us do. It does give others an insight when communicating.

A very nice point, as the Duke used to say. I'll deal with it presently.

Wouldn't that be Mrs Secure's job anyway?

Why?

If she is working and I am retired, why should she do that?

I get the boys to help with some of the small jobs I cannot do (like stuff involving ladders, or carrying really heavy stuff). But otherwise, I do what I can: Cooking, cleaning, hoovering, tidying, laundry, gardening etc...
There is no such verb as hoovering. I assume you mean vacuuming. Hoover is a brand name of various electrical appliances.
No there is not such thing as a vacuum cleaner it is an air velocity cleaner. It was not me who started the pedantic word thing remember. It was explained to me as a fitter many years ago how street cleaners use air velocity not a part vacuum to draw in the dirt, it was demonstrated with the nozzle on the floor the half brick stayed on the floor but raise the nozzle 1/2 inch then up went the brick.

As to brand names Bendix, Crapper, Hover, and many more have become house hold names much to the dismay of the companies, as once it becomes a household name it can't be kept by the company as a trade name. Remember a vacuum has no air, not even a tiny bit, we can get a partial vacuum but on earth very rare to get a vacuum. So to call it a vacuum cleaner is clearly wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back