Where to have a socket for Fridge Freezer installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new kitchen installed and have ordered a new side by side fridge freezer. I'll need an electrician to fit a plug socket for the fridge freezer but have no idea where one could go. The problem is that the fridgefreezer is only a couple of centimetres narrower than the wall it will be up against. Have a look at this photo to get a better idea:
To the left of this wall is double french doors and to the right will be new units with worktop on top which will butt up against the right side of the fridge freezer. So, where do you install a new socket to power the fridge freezer? I don't want a socket behind the appliance as then it would have to stand away from the wall and that would look wrong from the left side with a gap there.

Sponsored Links
The f/f will likely have a recess at the bottom, to avoid the skirting board, and where its compressor is mounted. But its cable should be long enough to reach a socket mounted just above the whole unit. This way you can access the socket without moving it.

The f/f will likely have a recess at the bottom, to avoid the skirting board, and where its compressor is mounted. But its cable should be long enough to reach a socket mounted just above the whole unit. This way you can access the socket without moving it.

Thanks for the prompt reply Steve!
I've checked the back in a store and it has a flat panel on the back that runs from top to bottom so no recess at all.

The wife's not keen on a socket above :rolleyes: so is there another way?

If you put it just above the height of the freezer nobody will see it, since the freezer protrudes about 2 foot into the room! Paint it orange if you wish. ;) (I once saw a convenience store where the painters painted over every socket in the decor colours, light green, dark blue and burgundy). Not saying its right, but it happens.

But seriously, if not, mount it at normal level to the right of the freezer.

Sponsored Links
If you put it just above the height of the freezer nobody will see it, since the freezer protrudes about 2 foot into the room! Paint it orange if you wish. ;) (I once saw a convenience store where the painters painted over every socket in the decor colours, light green, dark blue and burgundy). Not saying its right, but it happens.

But seriously, if not, mount it at normal level to the right of the freezer.

Ah, good point about it protuding. BTW, it's not orange! That'll be the light, it's a red-brown!! Thanks for your help.

If you are having a new fridge socket installed, why not install a dedicated radial circuit for it, of a spare B16 breaker in the consumer unit, on the Non RCD side if possible? , and ensuring the socket is clearly labelled "Fridge Freezer" only.

Depending if the circuit that you have chosen to supply the outlet for the fridge/freezer comes from ceiling down or floor up why not have either a 20A double pole switch or a switched 13 FCU sited above the fridge/ freezer then run your feed cable down the wall to an outlet plate?, that way you could gain the depth of the plug itself and still have isolation.

If you are having a new fridge socket installed, why not install a dedicated radial circuit for it, of a spare B16 breaker in the consumer unit, on the Non RCD side if possible? , and ensuring the socket is clearly labelled "Fridge Freezer" only.

A 30mA RCD may still be required depending on the type of cabling and its intended route (Impact Protection).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back