Cant find where the fridge/freezer is plugged in!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to defrost the freezer. Its integrated into the cabinet. The kitchen was installed 3 years ago.

I cannot find where the freezer is plugged in! Ive looked on top of the units/cabinets, Ive looked in the cabinets (and found the switch for the hob and the extractor fan), but cannot find the switch for the fridge/freezer! I wonder if Ive got to remove the fridge/freezer to get at the socket!? Is this usual?

I seem on my consumer unit I have a breaker for 'Kitchen ring', so perhaps I just turn it off there while I defrost? (although Id rather not)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It happens, seen it a few times where the socket is behind the appliance, makes testing a tad tricky too

Most fridge freezers allow you to turn them off at their thermostat while you defrost them.

Yes RTFM. There may be a clue in there. But yes, it’s not correct but not unusual for fridge sockets to be behind the appliance.

Turning off at the CU means all the other items on that circuit won’t work, and that could be several hours.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Most fridge freezers allow you to turn them off at their thermostat while you defrost them.
Indeed. I think that has been true of every fridge or freezer that I've ever owned - there has always been an 'off' position on the thermostat control ... just as well, since I have a couple for which, as has been mentioned, the socket is 'conveniently' positioned behind the appliance (and low down)!

Kind Regards, John

Probably behind, unless you had my electrician, and it is in a pattress box laying on the floor under the cabinet next to it, because they couldn't be bothered to fit it to the inside of a cupboard. I had to sort that out myself!

I was quite impressed with my handiwork - it probably breaks some rules, but better than laying on the floor between an oven and a fridge, both of which could potentially leak water all over it.

IMG_20200502_123546988.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back