Location of power socket for a fridge/freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am refitting my kitchen and the current socket that powers the fridge/freezer is located inside the cupboard next to it.

I would like to move this to a different location.
My question is..... can i move the socket to behind the fridge/freezer.
The socket will be positioned 2 foot above the skirting board and inline with the void on the back panel of the fridge/freezer.

I would prefer the socket not to be on show and not in a cupboard.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, but considering that you need to turn it off for cleaning, the area is the hottest part of the rear of the unit and that, according to London Fire Brigade, frig/freezers are the cause of the highest number of serious home fires, I'd suggest that it isn't really a good idea.

You could fit it behind the plinth under the cabinet. Then its accessible (by pulling the plinth off) and hidden from view.

Although the plinth can usually be removed without a tool, I don't think it's easily accessible - and the average person wouldn't know it was there.

Viewer, until now I've never thought it a problem to have the socket behind the ff, providing there was an isolator somewhere nearby.

Why don't you want a socket in the cupboard?

You could have a switched fused spur in the cupboard controlling the socket behind the ff.

Better still, have the switched fused above a worktop so people can tell where it is.

One particular problem with having a socket behind the ff is IF THE FF IS INTEGRATED, THERE'S NO ROOM BEHIND FOR A PLUG AND SOCKET. If it's FREE STANDING there is room.

Sponsored Links
the integrated F&F in my kitchen is fed from an fcu or socket behind the FF with no remote means of isolation.

VERY ANNOYING.

Avoid this method at all costs. It's tidy but I guarantee it will come back to bite you in the posterior at some point.

I would install the F/F socket behind the appliance, but would have local isolation for this socket in an easily accessible location, ideally above worktop near the appliance.
If it's a integrated F/F, I would prefer to have the socket outlet not behind the appliance, as they are quite bulky units and would not consider access to the outlet that easy, having to man handle the appliance out of the housing. I would be happy with a fridge, dishwasher etc.. as a single story appliance but not a combined F/F.

The socket for mine is located just above the FF, so can be accessed by standing on a chair.

It also has a dedicated circuit, so could be tripped out at the CU if required

Thanks for your replies.
The fridge/freezer is a stand alone unit, so its got access to the rear of it.

But its a fair point that the area can become warm and will be a pain to gain access for cleaning ect...

In regard to locating the socket in the cupboard, i thought it might be against regs and also it was just an easy option for the last guy who installed the kitchen.

For ease of installation for me and power feed to the Fridge/Freezer, it would be better to locate it in the cupboard at a high position, so not on view and knocked whilst the cupboard is in use.

I like the idea of behind the plinth, but that could be a pain if any breaks whilst getting access to the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back