Adding an extra freezer - same switch for 2 appliances?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a fridge/freezer. There is a 13Amp fused switch with a cable that then goes to an unswitched double gang socket. The pluggable built-in fridge/freezer is connected to that socket (the socket is located behind tall units). No other equipment is connected to that socket.
I am thinking of adding a small built-in freezer and I would like to know if I can connect it too to the same socket as it is a double gang. My concern is that the switch will then switches on or off both appliances. Is that okay or do I need to call an electrician to have a proper switch for that freezer? If I cannot use that socket, then what is the purpose of having a double gang?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's nothing wrong with the fridge and freezer plugged into the same socket.

If you were to switch one off, for how long? Do you think it would be a problem to do that?

What makes you think you can't use a spare socket?

If I have to switch one of the appliances off, it would be because there is a sudden problem. Then the appliance would be removed from its housing unit and unplug. There might even be an easier way to unplug one and keep the other one on. So the two appliances would not be off very long.

I raise the question because I remember that I read somewhere that each appliance has to have its own individual switch. But perhaps my remembering is wrong. That's all. But I've just checked something: after my cooker 45 Amp switch there is a double gang unswitched 13Amp socket too (one for the oven and one for the hob).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
SHOULD BE FINE, you just need to think about what you presently do for defrosting.
That is indeed a very good point. The fridge/freezer is relatively new and is supposed to be 'auto-defrost'. So I have not done it yet. I'm trying to find the user manual to check if there is a switch on the appliance itself. I haven't bought the extra freezer yet.

A word of caution with " auto defrost ".

When defrosting the water produced is dumped into a small tank on top of the compressor. This is then evaporated by the heat generated when the compressor is running.

Sometimes the tank will over flow and while the over flow route is designed to avoid the electrical connections of compressor it can affect appliances fitted underneath the auto defrosting fridge.

Repeated overflows over years can also make a mess of any MDF / chipboard shelf under the fridge.

Thanks! Many good tips here :)
I just found in the manual that turning the temperator regulator to "O" will turn off the appliance. So I guess I will be safe if I buy a freezer with a similar switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back