Spur from a spur - options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know this has been asked lots of time but I just wanted to double check it is possible to run a spur from a spur if I fit a fused spur.

Basically we are having a new kitchen fitted and I need to add a double socket under the kitchen work surface for the fridge and freezer (seperate units). At present the existing fridgefreezer (one unit) is plugged into a wall socket which is a spur. We want to keep the socket but add a new socket under the worktop.

Is it possible to disconnect the cable from the the existing socket, run it under the worktop and fit a fused spur. Then attach two sockets to the fused spur?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi, no you cannot run a spur from a spur unless you install a fuse connection at the origin of the spurs. I would advise a separate circuit from the consumer unit to supply your fridge/ freezer.

regards,

Lxboy

Hi, no you cannot run a spur from a spur unless you install a fuse connection at the origin of the spurs.
Unless the distance from origin of the spur to the position of the existing socket is excessive (probably unlikely), it is acceptable to do as the OP suggests (change the existing socket to an FCU) and hence have protection of the spur cable downstream of its origin (433.2.2). Asterisx187 - do you know roughly how long the spur cable is (from the main circuit, probably a ring, to the existing socket?)
I would advise a separate circuit from the consumer unit to supply your fridge/ freezer.
Yes, there's a lot to be said for that - but, if we're talking about DIY work (in England, not Wales) that would turn a non-notifiable job into a notifiable one, with the major financial consequence that has. (in Wales, unforunately, either approach would still be notifiable, since it's in a kitchen).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies.

If you mean from where it is spurred from its about 1.5m now, would be 2m when moved.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. If you mean from where it is spurred from its about 1.5m now, would be 2m when moved.
Thanks. It's the distance from the present socket (which will become an FCU) to wherever it is connected to the main circuit (ring or whatever) which matters - and if that's 1.5m or 2m then that's fine. In other words, you can, if you wish, do as you suggested - i.e. change the existing socket to a 13A FCU (connecting the existing cable to the supply side of the FCU) and the run two (or, indeed, as many as you like) sockets from the load side of that FCU. The total available from all those sockets will, of course, be limited to 13A.

Kind Regards, John

This is the ideal solution for a kitchen, as we all know the kitchen is a place where we require very little power !!!!!

Don''t fill the freezer with expensive food !!!!!!!

13a ........total

wise advice

LXBOY

This is the ideal solution for a kitchen, as we all know the kitchen is a place where we require very little power !!!!! Don''t fill the freezer with expensive food !!!!!!! 13a ........total wise advice
It's for the OP to decide whether 13A is enough for the under-counter sockets, and if he's prepared to take the (small) risk that a fault in something else plugged into one of the new sockets could 'take out' the freezer. If he is happy with that, and if he's planning to DIYthis work (legally), this approach will save him between £200 and £400. If he needs more than 13A, or is otherwise not happy with this approach (which he suggested), then he really ought to get an electrician in to install a new circuit - since that would probably cost appreciably less than the notification fee! Asterix187: what do you plan to run from these new sockets in addition to the fridge/freezer?

Kind Regards, John

Hi, thanks again.

Apart from the fridge and freezer the other socket will only be used to charge mobile phones and the occasional ipod speaker. Nothing major at all. Things like toasters, coffee makers etc are going into to other sockets on their own spur.

Hi, thanks again. Apart from the fridge and freezer the other socket will only be used to charge mobile phones and the occasional ipod speaker. Nothing major at all. Things like toasters, coffee makers etc are going into to other sockets on their own spur.
Thant sounds fine to me then.

Kind Regards, John

My god ! do we agree on something!

Spurs are for cowboys!

Regards,

Lxboy

The spurs were already there and done by whomever did the work before I moved in.
I'm not ganging up with them, but what some others are saying is that you should perhaps take the opportunity, whilst you're having the kitchen re-done, to get the electrics 'done properly' (i.e. with the minimum of spurs).

However, I would suggest that you don't lose too much sleep over this. Whilst it's difficult to argue against the view that spurs are best avoided, there are probably few houses (apart from very new ones) which don't contain at least some - and, provided the spurs are installed in compliance with the regs (and with regard to the possible/likely loading of the spurred sockets), there is nothing intrinsically wrong with them. If there were, they would not be 'allowed'.

Kind Regards, John

That's what's called back peddling.

Hope your kitchen refit goes to plan.

Regards,

Lxboy - one of THEM [/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back