Spur to washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ha a double socket on the wall in yhe kitchen. i am running a spur under the worktop a into a kitchen base unit. does the single socket in the cupboard need to be fused?

Sponsored Links
That would depend on the circuit type.
If the circuit is a ring final and the socket is part of the ring (not already a spur) then the spur to a single socket can be unfused.

This is not a spur off the final part of the ring, ie there is an in/out on the double socket and a spur from that

First thing to confirm is that the circuit is a ring final circuit?
This would require some testing to confirm.
You cannot spur from an unfused spur off the ring final, nor is it advised to take two individual spurs from a socket outlet that originates from the ring final.

Sponsored Links
this is not a spur off of a spur. the double socket has 2 cables, 1 in from the last socket and 1 out to the next socket. the spur for washing machine is planned to come off this double socket

this is not a spur off of a spur. the double socket has 2 cables, 1 in from the last socket and 1 out to the next socket. the spur for washing machine is planned to come off this double socket
A spurred spur, will have two sets of cables at the outlet it is spurred from. So the first thing to find out, is what type of circuit you have and if it is a ring final, then establish the integrity of the ring, at the outlet you wish to take the spur from.

Last edited:
Is the washing machine to be under a worktop?
If so may I suggest that you route the cable through a fused switch where you take the spur from and use an unswitched socket under the worktop.
By doing that you can always switch the machine off easily without moving it or reaching through a tight gap.

TBH i have completed this now, i ran the supply cable to a socket in the base unit cupboard next to the washing machine, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back