Spur from a spur - options

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry John, I don't think it's sensible working on assumptions. In ypur frst answer you said it was probably a ring. There was nothing in the thread to confirm or disprove this.
Nothing to be sorry about! As you say, one obviously should not work on assumptions. The fact that I said that the circuit was probably a ring (which I'm sure is statistically true) is actually not, IMO, really relevant. The assumptions I made (and shouldn't have done) was that it was a 30/32A circuit and that the cable feeding the existing socket was 2.5mm², in which case I still believe that every which I (and others) said would be true whether it were a ring or radial circuit ...
I didn't say an FCU was not needed on a ring, just that it isn't needed on a radial.
I still don't understand. As I said, if the two 'ifs' in my sentence were satisfied (30/32A OPD and a 2.5mm² cable supplying the existing 'spur' socket), then surely an FCU would be needed if that same cable was going to be used to supply an additional socket, wouldn't it?

At least you're not taking me to task over an alleged safety issue this time. It would hardly be dangerous to install an unnecessary FCU!

As a matter of interest/fascination, do you ever respond (other than to ask a question) to posts other than mine? ... I'm flattered by the interest/attention, but just wondered :)

Kind Regards, John

UPDATE: So I have done the work and all is fine. I added the FSU (switched) and the two sockets and everything is working fine.

For what its worth the cable in the socket was red/black and has multi core cable in that there was around 5 strands in the red and 5 strands in the blue rather than just the one (thicker) one in new cable.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Sponsored Links
For what its worth the cable in the socket was red/black and has multi core cable in that there was around 5 strands in the red and 5 strands in the blue rather than just the one (thicker) one in new cable.

Is that right?
I thought Blue was associated with three phase cable only up to 2004.
Did you mean black?

Yes thats right. The 5 (prob 7) strand cable was the existing cable which (as we moved in in about 2000 was done before then.

Yes thats right. The 5 (prob 7) strand cable was the existing cable which (as we moved in in about 2000 was done before then.
Yes, but as has been pointed out, if it's two-core cable, one would expect the cores to be black (not blue) and red. Is that the case? And as you've also been asked, does the outer sheath (and, indeed, the insultaion of the conductors) appear to be PVC (rather than rubber or anything else)?

Kind Regards, John

A valid question, but was any non-PVC cable being installed as late as the 70s (which is the oldest it could be, even if the wiring is 'original')
PVC came in - when - early 60's?

It's not inconceivable that an electrician who preferred the flexibility of rubber, or who had stocks to use up, might have still been installing it at the end of that decade..

A valid question, but was any non-PVC cable being installed as late as the 70s (which is the oldest it could be, even if the wiring is 'original')
PVC came in - when - early 60's? It's not inconceivable that an electrician who preferred the flexibility of rubber, or who had stocks to use up, might have still been installing it at the end of that decade..
As you say, theoretically 'not inconceivable' - but for a new build??

Kind Regards, John

I'm sorry John, I don't think it's sensible working on assumptions. In ypur frst answer you said it was probably a ring. There was nothing in the thread to confirm or disprove this.
Nothing to be sorry about! As you say, one obviously should not work on assumptions. The fact that I said that the circuit was probably a ring (which I'm sure is statistically true) is actually not, IMO, really relevant. The assumptions I made (and shouldn't have done) was that it was a 30/32A circuit and that the cable feeding the existing socket was 2.5mm², in which case I still believe that every which I (and others) said would be true whether it were a ring or radial circuit ...
I didn't say an FCU was not needed on a ring, just that it isn't needed on a radial.
I still don't understand. As I said, if the two 'ifs' in my sentence were satisfied (30/32A OPD and a 2.5mm² cable supplying the existing 'spur' socket), then surely an FCU would be needed if that same cable was going to be used to supply an additional socket, wouldn't it?

At least you're not taking me to task over an alleged safety issue this time. It would hardly be dangerous to install an unnecessary FCU!

As a matter of interest/fascination, do you ever respond (other than to ask a question) to posts other than mine? ... I'm flattered by the interest/attention, but just wondered :)

Kind Regards, John

You commented on the reply to my question to asterix and I replied to you. Not a personal attack John.

Given one of the main benefits for a radial is that you can add an SO (or many) without fusing down, an FCU in a radial seems counter-productive.

Assume makes an ass out of u and me (as they say). There was nothing in the first 2 pages of the thread describing the current circuit, other than there was an SO. It was 50/50 ring or radial.

Also, when I asked about installation method I was alluding to 522.6.100.
etc.

<the etirity of my previous post, including quotes and signature>
[Rule 9) Please do not use excessive quoting in your posts. :) ]
Given one of the main benefits for a radial is that you can add an SO (or many) without fusing down, an FCU in a radial seems counter-productive.
I think many of us comitted the sin of 'making assumptions'. Because the existing socket was described as a 'spur', I think I assumed that it was probably in 2.5mm² (or imperial equivalent) cable, and also that it was probably a 30/32A circuit. On the basis of those iffy assumptions, an FCU would have been needed if the OP wanted to add further sockets to that 'spur'. What you say above is obviously only true of a radial if all wiring has a CCC adequate to be protected by the OPD.
Assume makes an ass out of u and me (as they say). There was nothing in the first 2 pages of the thread describing the current circuit, other than there was an SO. It was 50/50 ring or radial.
I think you're right - although, statistically speaking I think it's probably a lot higher than 50/50 in favour of a ring, in terms of UK installations as a whole, even in kitchens. If I were a betting man, I'd probably put my money on it being a 2.5mm² unfused spur off a 30/32A ring final - but I agree that we should not be making such assumptions/gambles!
[Also, when I asked about installation method I was alluding to 522.6.100. etc.
Yes, I realised that, but I was thinking (again, on reflection, probably a bad assumption) of non-buried 'under counter' wiring. Lots of unwise assumptions, in fact, on my part and probably on the opart of some others :oops:

Cheers, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back