Replacing fused spur with socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, above the counter there is a switched fused spur that feeds to a socket for the fridge/freezer.
since there is already a fuse in the plug of the fridge could i swap out the spur for a socket?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
depends if the 'spur' switch is actually on the ring or is itself a spur.

On a ring circuit it's not permitted to run an unfused spur from a spur.

Sponsored Links
depends if the 'spur' switch is actually on the ring or is itself a spur.

On a ring circuit it's not permitted to run an unfused spur from a spur.

He's absolutely right.

Check this first. Also check that the cable running to the fridge freezer is no smaller than the other cables. Also check the fused spur only supplies the fridge freezer socket and nothing else.

There is one handy reason to have the separate switch controlling the fridge/freezer - when the times comes to defrost and clean out the fridge, the socket might be behind the fridge, in an inaccessible location. Using the separate switch lets you switch off the fridge for defrosting/cleaning. Having a neon indicator on that switch shows that the supply is working.
I had such an arrangement in my old house, it was more for convenience sake, and the useful indicator lamp feature too.

There is one handy reason to have the separate switch controlling the fridge/freezer - when the times comes to defrost and clean out the fridge, the socket might be behind the fridge, in an inaccessible location. Using the separate switch lets you switch off the fridge for defrosting/cleaning.
That is true, but nearly every fridge or freezer I've seen in recent times has had a "temperature control' with an "off/defrost" position. Is that not your experience?

Kind Regards, John

There is one handy reason to have the separate switch controlling the fridge/freezer - when the times comes to defrost and clean out the fridge, the socket might be behind the fridge, in an inaccessible location. Using the separate switch lets you switch off the fridge for defrosting/cleaning. Having a neon indicator on that switch shows that the supply is working.
I had such an arrangement in my old house, it was more for convenience sake, and the useful indicator lamp feature too.
You could fit a socket with a neon :cool:.

And realistically, how often do you need to defrost a f/f vs use a socket in the kitchen. If you've got a decent freezer with intact seals, and you don't ram it full of stuff, the answer should be very, very rarely.

The spur is on the ring, the cable to the fridge socket is the same as the other 2 (thick flat gray stuff) and the fridge socket is the only one on the spur. the whole house was rewired 2 years back so it all should be up to code. also the fridge/freezer is frost free and has a off switch.

thanks

And realistically, how often do you need to defrost a f/f vs use a socket in the kitchen. If you've got a decent freezer with intact seals, and you don't ram it full of stuff, the answer should be very, very rarely.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that 'rammed/crammed full of stuff' was actually better from the point-of-view of 'frosting up' (less space for warm moist air to move into when the door or lid is opened)?

Kind Regards, John

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that 'rammed/crammed full of stuff' was actually better from the point-of-view of 'frosting up' (less space for warm moist air to move into when the door or lid is opened)?
Depends if it's so rammed the door doesn't shut!! You're probably right in normal 'rammed full conditions' though.

Anecdotally, nobody ever seems to have to defrost a <50% full freezer, it's always crammed full.

Depends if it's so rammed the door doesn't shut!! You're probably right in normal 'rammed full conditions' though.
I think I probably am. Indeed, you will see advice out there to fill up any 'unusued space' with screwed up newspaper, both for the reason we are discussing ('frosting up') and to reduce running cots a little.
Anecdotally, nobody ever seems to have to defrost a <50% full freezer, it's always crammed full.
I wouldn't personally know - I don't think I've ever experienced a "<50% full freezer" :)

Kind Regards, John

Is the fridge freezer 'free-standing' or built in 'integrated'?

If free-standing I suppose it is considerably easier to move it out should you need to ever isolate it.

If free-standing I would be reasonably happy to do what you suggest.

Of course, if there is a base cupboard next to the fridge freezer, you could always extend the wiring in here (you'd have to remove the existing fridge freezer socket) if it was felt you wanted easy isolation of the appliance.

The spur is on the ring, the cable to the fridge socket is the same as the other 2 (thick flat gray stuff) and the fridge socket is the only one on the spur. the whole house was rewired 2 years back so it all should be up to code. also the fridge/freezer is frost free and has a off switch.

thanks

Well in that case who ever rewired it was an idiot.

thanks

Well in that case who ever rewired it was an idiot.

AND WHY is that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back