Spur socket question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey
I need to add an additional socket but it's location is making it slightly tricky.

Basically the only socket which is near where I need the additional socket is already a spur (running a fridge freezer) and I know I can't spur another socket directly from here.

But I have been doing some research and I understand if I was to change that current fridge freezer socket to a fused spur something like - (https://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-capital-13a-switched-fridge-freezer-fused-spur-white/9436j), I would then technically be able to spur the socket I need from that?

Is my understanding on that correct - I'm by no means a sparky but anything I do my self I do like to make sure is correct!

(Just to add the additional socket would be in a unit - it would only ever powering LED lights and at most a fan (not heated))

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Correct but only necessary if the existing socket is a spur from a 30A or 32A ring final circuit wired in 2.5mm² cable.

Does not apply to any other circuit.

I used a double back box with a 4 module grid plate with a socket, switch and fuse in the plate, so all was through a 13 amp fuse. IMGP7387c.jpg I used LAP from Screwfix, but there are other makes.

I used a double back box with a 4 module grid plate with a socket, switch and fuse in the plate, so all was through a 13 amp fuse. View attachment 307171 I used LAP from Screwfix, but there are other makes.
Got a link to this - I don’t seem to be able to find it.

Would be perfect does what I need allowing me to run the spur and saves me hard wiring the fridge in! Thank you!

Edit: ah I found the bits thank you - will look into doing something similar!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Correct but only necessary if the existing socket is a spur from a 30A or 32A ring final circuit wired in 2.5mm² cable.

Does not apply to any other circuit.
Great thank you - and I assume if I was to change this current spur’s socket to a FCU - both the fridge freezer and the additional spur would be wired into the “load” - meaning if I was to switch off the FCU switch both the fridge freezer and the additional spured socket would be switched off?

Yes, the purpose is to limit the maximum load on that cable to 13A.
Unswitched FCUs are available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back