Spurring from an existing socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you spur from an existing socket using 2.5mm T&E connected to a plug.

I realise you need to have a flex connected to a plug but this is a socket in the garage not used and I was thinking of running a 2.5mm T&E to another new double socket in the garage, with the supply end connected to a 13A plug, plugged into an existing socket.

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't advise putting a plug on the end of T&E as the solid conductors will be stressed by you plugging and unplugging.
Why not run into the socket (providing its on a ring or end of a radial).
Cable used for fixed wiring is appropriate for that task, if plan to connect to a plug, use flex.

If you want a socket in another part of your garage, and you were thinking of plugging it into an existing socket, why not use an extension lead?

Thank you for that useful information.

It won't be plugged or unplugged all the time, but nevertheless I like both ideas.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter how often its unplugged/plugged.
The cable is not suitable.
What would happen if I bought your house. Can you be certain I would not use your installation diferently.

Qedelec said:
What would happen if I bought your house. Can you be certain I would not use your installation diferently.

Although the idea is not a good one, and the cable would be hard to wire to a plug (not impossible). Why is the cable not suitable, as its 2.5 TC&E and would be used if he was running a proper spur.

P.S. Thats a question, not a challenge.

Bazdaa

Bazdaa said:
Qedelec said:

Although the idea is not a good one, and the cable would be hard to wire to a plug (not impossible). Why is the cable not suitable, as its 2.5 TC&E and would be used if he was running a proper spur.

P.S. Thats a question, not a challenge.

Bazdaa

2.5mm² twin and earth is used for fixed installation and if flexed often enough the solid conductors can break. If he were to use this cable to wire it as a spur off the ring there is not a problem providing the wiring is suitably fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back