fcu, spur of spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im looking to add another socket in hall way, (for cordless phone)however the only socket i can use is all ready feeding a spur. I know you cant spur of a spur, so would i be able to remove the 7 strand imperial cable from the feeding socket to the spur and connect it to a 13A FCU (unswitched) then a 2.5mm T&E to the socket that was the spur, then take another 2.5mm T&E cable from that socket (spur) and connect it to a single socket in hall? since both socket are supplied through a 13A fcu should the draw on both sockets exceed that the fuse should blow? Also the cable connecting the existing supply socket to the spur is PVC 7 strand imperial cable, would this be better to being the supply into the FCU? then 2.5mm out of the "load" side? or just use 2.5mm all the way through both "supply" and "load" side?
View media item 30311

Sponsored Links
Ok, will do as i planned then. Thanks for your help.

Couple of things to be aware of:

Firstly is your circuit a Ring Final Circuit or a radial circuit? And what is the size of the MCB or fuse protecting the circuit?

If it is a radial circuit of 2.5mm or equivalent then the MCB should be no more than 20Amps. With such an arrangement you do not need to put a Fused Connection unit in the circuit.

If it is a RFC and it is fitted with the appropriate MCB then your drawing is correct.

Secondly, given the opportunity I would always change old cable for new.

Sponsored Links
think circuit is ring final, only cause of type of fuse, which i think (withought going looking) is 30A rewirable, would age be any help, our house was wired in 1965, so were RFC or radials more common? Dont really know the size of cable, as its imperial stranded but has 7 strands which iv been told is the old equivelent of 2.5mm? Was asking about changing old for new cable only becaulse the old is PVC not rubber and just seems to have a sort of "quality" feel to it, that lacks in new, but think i will stick new in all round where im working. Thanks.

think circuit is ring final, only cause of type of fuse, which i think (withought going looking) is 30A rewirable, would age be any help, our house was wired in 1965, so were RFC or radials more common? Dont really know the size of cable, as its imperial stranded but has 7 strands which iv been told is the old equivelent of 2.5mm? Was asking about changing old for new cable only becaulse the old is PVC not rubber and just seems to have a sort of "quality" feel to it, that lacks in new, but think i will stick new in all round where im working. Thanks.

I would work on the basis that it is a RFC - and use your original plan.

Good luck.

If the wiring is that old (Sounds like it's 7/029 cable), it might not be wise to disturb the cable.

Furthermore, the Lighting circuits might not have an earth facility.

Dont think lights have earths in them, cant be certain though. but i know there wired in "singles" mainly all reds in switches with blacks in ceiling rose. looked into the cable 7/029 and it looks the same as what we have. however the cable is still flexable, no visable damage or cracks... seems in good condition concidering age. but ill take it out and put 2.5mm T&E in the work i plan to do. Thanks again to everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back