Spur off ring main FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a FCU on the ring main with the load being a boiler (fused at 3A). Is it possible to put a spur connection off the feed side of this FCU to supply a double 13A socket outlet or do I need to find another socket on the ring main for this purpose?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the FCU is on the ring then you can spur off the feed side of it,

It could get crowded inside the FCU back box with three 2.5mm cables, why not make the new socket a part of the ring?

ie take one of the feed cables out of the FCU and connect it to the socket then run a new piece of 2.5mm from the new socket back to the FCU.

Where is this socket going, by the way?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Wasn't sure if the fixed wiring to boiler was classed as a spur in its own right or not. If it was then doubted regs would allow a second spur off same point but now I know!

FCU is on ring main of a kitchen and new socket required on adjacent wall..... both somewhere far frae Fife. Did consider the possibility of extending ring main but routing two cables would probably be problematic. Taylortwocities also right about overcrowding so thinking of putting an unswitched FCU next to the existing (boiler one) such that new FCU is also on ring main. Load end of new FCU would feed additional socket (and possibly more).

Is it correct that boilers should now have their own radial circuit straight off the distribution unit? If so why, what was wrong with them being on ring main :?:

Another question for you experienced guys. I believe that new wiring regs state that cables run behind plasterboard must now be enclosed in conduit. If the conduit is plastic then this will not provide much in the way of protection. Is the purpose of the conduit to make sure cable runs are in straight lines (vertical or horizontal) instead of whatever path they happen to take when being pulled through the wall void? Just a thought!

Is it correct that boilers should now have their own radial circuit straight off the distribution unit? If so why, what was wrong with them being on ring main !
No such rule or regulation.
You could run a separate circuit for anything, but its not done or you would have 200-way fuseboard for a 3 bedroom house!
A fused spur from a ring is the norm.

Another question for you experienced guys. I believe that new wiring regs state that cables run behind plasterboard must now be enclosed in conduit. If the conduit is plastic then this will not provide much in the way of protection. Is the purpose of the conduit to make sure cable runs are in straight lines (vertical or horizontal) instead of whatever path they happen to take when being pulled through the wall void? Just a thought

The regs state that cables must be run in safe zones (ie vertically or horizontally from a socket etc.
Capping is there to protect the cable during plastering. It must be supported so it could just be clipped to the wall and then plasterboard dabbed on top.

In general terms the new (2008) regs state that if a cable is run less than 50mm from the surface then it must be protected by a 30mA RCD. Or it can be a very special sort of cable or it can be run in earthed steel conduit.
There are some exceptions to this but that's all you need to know from a DIY, domestic point of view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back