Changing FCU for 13a socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3a FCU on the ring feeding my boiler. Can I change this for a twin 13a socket and then spur the FCU and boiler from this socket?

Sponsored Links
I have a 3a FCU on the ring feeding my boiler. Can I change this for a twin 13a socket and then spur the FCU and boiler from this socket?
IF the FCU is definitely part of the ring (i.e. not itself a spur), then yes.

Kind Regards, John

And IF it's on the ring, why not just add the socket, rather than relocate the FCU and boiler wiring?

Sponsored Links
And IF it's on the ring, why not just add the socket, rather than relocate the FCU and boiler wiring?
Do you mean add the socket to the FCU? If so then I would have a 3a FCU feeding a 13a socket?
No, I presume that he means actually incorporate the new socket into the ring. Again IF the FCU is definitely part of the ring, and provided that it is just one socket you wish to add, you could actually spur off (the supply side of) the FCU to supply that one socket, without the need for any FCU/fuse in between - but that's not as 'nice' actually incorporating the new socket into the ring - what is known as an 'unfused spur' (which is only allowed to supply one socket).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back