Spurring off a ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a query about the limit of a spur from an existing ring. Is it possible to use a 13A FCU as a spur, fed from a ring, to feed an additional 4 double sockets and a lighting circuit (downsized to a 3 or 5A). Hence the 13A FCU spur becomes the begginning of a radial circuit fed from the ring.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes. You can fit a switched spur off the ring fused at 13A to feed all the sockets and the spur for the lights. Then fit an unswitched spur fused at 3A for the lighting, with suitable switches wherever you need them.

However, have you considered the design current of this circuit?

There is nothing wrong with this in theory but it would not be very practical as you are limiting your total load on the 4 sockets and the lighting to 13A (overload the sockets, say, and you'll be left in the dark! :eek:

I have eight twin sockets fed of an FCU for my computer and etc.

Never had any trouble at all

Sponsored Links
cheers for the info lads.pros and cons i suppose. I would extend the ring but are severely hampered by the decor of the area. Its newly done and they dont want to have to redecorate the area. Floor is concrete so running new cables is very difficult and would mean alot of holes and patching up.
Sorry securespark but dont know what you mean by the design current. Think sockets are to be used for some printing appliances and lights are 4-6 12V 50W downlighters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back