Unfused spur from an existing FCU within the ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a DIYer looking to add a double socket on an unfused spur. For me the nearest convenient connection point for the spur is an existing 3A fused FCU that is part of my ring main circuit. Can I spur off the supply side of this FCU?
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Subject to actually being able to get that many conductors into the terminals of the FCU (by no means a certainty, and by no means easy to make sure they are all firmly clamped), yes.

But why not extend the circuit to the new socket?

Subject to actually being able to get that many conductors into the terminals of the FCU (by no means a certainty, and by no means easy to make sure they are all firmly clamped), yes.

But why not extend the circuit to the new socket?

Thanks for the advice. Yes your proposal is the most straight forward. However as a DIYer my understanding is that it is notified work to break into and reform the ring? Just trying to do things safely.

Sponsored Links
as a DIYer my understanding is that it is notified work to break into and reform the ring? Just trying to do things safely.

Your understanding is wrong. Generally, only new circuits are notifiable, not changes to existing ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back