FCU off of a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single socket above the counter which I believe to be a spur (single 2.5mm cable). The washing machine is plugged in to this. Can I run a 13a FCU from this socket, down to a single socket below the counter? Or is this spurring from a spur?

Sponsored Links
You already know the answer- it is spurring from a spur & not permitted. If you have the space, put an FCU (electrically) before your existing single socket- if you do that you can have as many 13A sockets as you like AFTER the FCU.
EDIT Or FCUs controlling other sockets or whatever :)

You already know the answer- it is spurring from a spur & not permitted. If you have the space, put an FCU (electrically) before your existing single socket- if you do that you can have as many 13A sockets as you like AFTER the FCU.
EDIT Or FCUs controlling other sockets or whatever :)

Thanks very much. So if I were to replace the existing single socket with an FCU, I could then spur of this to the side to put the single socket next to it, and also down from the FCU to another single socket under the counter? So both the sockets would be turned on and off by the FCU switch?

If this is in a kitchen and someone might want to plug a kettle into that socket, then you have a risk of blowing the fuse in the FCU.
This sort of arangement is more useful when the attached loads are likely to be small, e.g. a row of sockets behind a TV etc.

Sponsored Links
Yep, you could do that. Or if you wanted some segregation you could put a DP switch in to supply the socket under the counter.

Be aware- your washing machine will pull about 10A at some stages in its cycle so it'd be wise to not use whatever you're plugging in to the other socket at the same time (unless it is a trivial load like a fridge or freezer)

You already know the answer- it is spurring from a spur & not permitted.
That is the traditional view, but I think you'd struggle to find a regulation which says that it was 'not permitted'. If the cable is 'clipped direct' 2.5mm² cable, there's nothing electrically wrong with it feeding one single socket plus one FCU, is there?
If you have the space, put an FCU (electrically) before your existing single socket- if you do that you can have as many 13A sockets as you like AFTER the FCU.
True, but since we know that one of the loads is a WM, there would at least be times when there was little/none of the 13A total 'left' for other sockets!

Kind Regards, John

This is true, but I suppose it depends how often the machine is in use! So long as the other socket isn't going to be for a tumble dryer, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Perhaps not the best solution but is there another way around it?

That is the traditional view, but I think you'd struggle to find a regulation which says that it was 'not permitted'. If the cable is 'clipped direct' 2.5mm² cable, there's nothing electrically wrong with it feeding one single socket plus one FCU, is there?
If you have the space, put an FCU (electrically) before your existing single socket- if you do that you can have as many 13A sockets as you like AFTER the FCU.
True, but since we know that one of the loads is a WM, there would at least be times when there was little/none of the 13A total 'left' for other sockets!

Kind Regards, John
Tee hee, nested quotes. Yerse, if it is all 2.5mm clipped direct, no insulation involved so the full 27A is available then yes a single socket and a single FCU wouldn't do any harm. Fun starts when the single socket gets replaced by a double.
Re the available capacity- true but as long as you don't fully load both sockets at the same time it'll be fine. So don't boil the kettle while the washer is running, definitely don't run the tumble dryer from that socket while the washer is running :)

This is true, but I suppose it depends how often the machine is in use! So long as the other socket isn't going to be for a tumble dryer, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Perhaps not the best solution but is there another way around it?
As I implied, unless you can find a regulation which 'disallows it', and provided the cable is clipped direct, then it could easily be argued that to 'spur an FCU off a single spurred socket' (thereby increasing total available current from 13A to 26A) would be compliant with the regs!

Kind Regards, John

If this is in a kitchen and someone might want to plug a kettle into that socket, then you have a risk of blowing the fuse in the FCU.
This sort of arangement is more useful when the attached loads are likely to be small, e.g. a row of sockets behind a TV etc.

Yes it is in a kitchen. No chance of running a kettle. The current socket is only used for a washing machine, and when that's not in use then the lawn mower is normally plugged in to it.

This is true, but I suppose it depends how often the machine is in use! So long as the other socket isn't going to be for a tumble dryer, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Perhaps not the best solution but is there another way around it?

Definitely not a tumble dryer, it's a washer/dryer and no room for any other appliance.

Kind Regards, John

Can you explain what you mean by clipped direct?

Yerse, if it is all 2.5mm clipped direct, no insulation involved so the full 27A is available then yes a single socket and a single FCU wouldn't do any harm.
Indeed - and not only wouldn'd it do any harm but, as far as I can see, it would be regs-compliant.
Fun starts when the single socket gets replaced by a double.
Yes, but one cannot really make provision for what unacceptable changes may subsequently be made to the installation -f we took that approach, we couldn't do anything!
Re the available capacity- true but as long as you don't fully load both sockets at the same time it'll be fine. So don't boil the kettle while the washer is running, definitely don't run the tumble dryer from that socket while the washer is running :)
Yes, but how do you make sure that everyone who may use the room knows, and always remembers, all that?!

Kind Regards, John

Can you explain what you mean by clipped direct?
Not buried in insulation or suchlike. Either on the surface or buried in plaster counts as 'clipped direct', in which case 2.5mm² cable can carry up to 27A.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back