Advice on a spur socket off the ring main

If anyone can think of any difference between having two single sockets and one double, I should be very interested.

Also, with all the nonsense talked about the load a double socket can handle, any reason why two singles is not, in fact, better.

Not to mention using 4mm² cable for the spur when any restrictions disappear.

One reason that comes to mind, is that you would be unlikely to plug 2x 3Kw fan heaters into one double socket - you might if one single socket were in one room and the second spur in the next room.

I doubt these days that my ring needs to support more than a couple of hundred watts, under normal circumstances and I have had no abnormal circumstances here in the last 50 years.

Sponsored Links
If anyone can think of any difference between having two single sockets and one double, I should be very interested.
Only the fact that, as eric has implied, for those incapable of thinking, a 'single simple' instruction that they must not have an unfused spur feeding more than 'one thing' is perhaps most likely to be within their capabilities of understanding!
Also, with all the nonsense talked about the load a double socket can handle, any reason why two singles is not, in fact, better.
Indeed - although I suppose those those who insist that a double socket is only 'rated' at 20A might be happier with that than with 2 x "13A" sockets (given the minimum CCC requirement of cable in a ring final).
Not to mention using 4mm² cable for the spur when any restrictions disappear.
Quite - but only for those capable of thinking!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So - two singles would be better.

I think you are arguing the wrong way round.

I read your comment as why would it matter if there were two 3Kw loads on a twin socket.

I'm not certain of the precise rating of 2.5mm T&E, but from memory around 20 or 21amps. If there were a single on the ring, with a single spurred from that, then a second one spurred off that - the cable between ring and the first spur would be having to carry 25amps, assuming both spurs were loaded to 3Kw.

Last edited:
I have an old Home Electrics book of my Dad's that I used to read all the time when I was younger and fascinated by electrics. I distinctly recall it stating that you could take an unfused spur to 2 x single sockets or 1 x double socket, I've just dug it out and attached some pics. No regs are stated but thought some of you might find the history behind the varying 'can you spur from a spur' opinions interesting.

I read your comment as why would it matter if there were two 3Kw loads on a twin socket.
No, appendix 15 states one single or one double. Why is two singles not allowed as it is better?

I'm not certain of the precise rating of 2.5mm T&E, but from memory around 20 or 21amps. If there were a single on the ring, with a single spurred from that, then a second one spurred off that - the cable between ring and the first spur would be having to carry 25amps, assuming both spurs were loaded to 3Kw.
It is 27A method C - therefore...

I probably should have stated For anyone reading this in the future that taking a spur from a spur is not allowed under the current regs and far as I know it never actually was. That old book is a Hone owners guide and no regs are quoted anywhere in it.

that taking a spur from a spur is not allowed under the current regs and far as I know it never actually was. That old book is a Hone owners guide and no regs are quoted anywhere in it.
It is not Correct to say that as a blanket statement.

It depends on the design.

I probably should have stated For anyone reading this in the future that taking a spur from a spur is not allowed under the current regs ...
Indeed (silly thought that may be in the case of teo single sockets).
... and far as I know it never actually was.
Now that you have prodded my memory, I seem to recall that the regs did once allow what the books says - one double or two single sockets (which, as above, would probably be more sensible than 'current regs').

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back