Electrical - Clarification of Part P - Kitchens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read through the Part P regs and I am just wondering if what I would like to if it is actually notifiable.

I am not proposing to add a new load to an existing circuit, rather reduce.

And the new work is not actually in the kitchen other than replacement of a cable to an existing fused spur.

I wish to remove an existing 13A socket from my kitchen that is on the ring main. At this socket there is also a single 2.5mm cable (a spur off the ring main) running to a switched fused spur, that is also in the kitchen.

I wish to retain the switched fused spur.

What I am proposing to do is remove the 13A socket. Then pull the 2 ring main cables back to a suitable place under the floor. Then run a new 2.5mm cable from the fused spur to this place under the floor and there bring all the 3 cables together in a 30A 3 terminal connector box.

Prior to Part P I would just have "done this"!

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you

MrWhatIf

Sponsored Links
place under the floor and there bring all the 3 cables together in a 30A 3 terminal connector box
This must be easily accesible for inspection and testing, so can not be left under the floor, unless it can be accessed.

Repair, replacement( like for like) and maintenance jobs are often not considered notifable even if carried out in the Kitchen.
But what you have explained does not seem to fall under any of these catogries as you are altering a circuit, so I would say that it is notifiable work.
PS all minor work whether it be notifiable or not, must comply to the requirements of part p.

place under the floor and there bring all the 3 cables together in a 30A 3 terminal connector box
This must be easily accesible for inspection and testing, so can not be left under the floor, unless it can be accessed.

Repair, replacement( like for like) and maintenance jobs are often not considered notifable even if carried out in the Kitchen.
But what you have explained does not seem to fall under any of these catogries as you are altering a circuit, so I would say that it is notifiable work.
PS all minor work whether it be notifiable or not, must comply to the requirements of part p.

Thanks for your response.

I have to say I am now more confused than ever as the term altering doesn't get a mention in Building Regulations 2000 (in effect from 6th April 2006) - Electrical Safety Dwelling - Design and Installation of Electrical Installations Part P

And in Table 1 of that document allows for Adding Sockets to an existing ring main which are NOT in a kitchen as Non-Notifiable work - which seems to imply altering is allowed, otherwise you couldn't add! :confused:

& all I'm trying to do is take somthing away! :cry:

thank you

Sponsored Links
Your other problem is that you're looking at Approved Document P rather than the Building Regulations themselves.

See Schedule 2B - start at the top with the position that the work is notifiable, and begin reading.

As soon as you encounter a match with what you're doing, stop reading - it's non-notifiable. But if you reach the bottom without finding a match it is notifiable.

Your other problem is that you're looking at Approved Document P rather than the Building Regulations themselves.

See Schedule 2B - start at the top with the position that the work is notifiable, and begin reading.

As soon as you encounter a match with what you're doing, stop reading - it's non-notifiable. But if you reach the bottom without finding a match it is notifiable.

Thanks for the link

It seems that only in this barm-pot country adding to an existing circuit is non-notifiable - which could lead to circuit overload - but removal of a socket from (potentially) the same circuit is apparently notifiable! . . . . If you take the wording in the Schedule as absolute. :confused:

Taking this to the total stupidity it would imply that you couldn't remove a spur, from a ring main, that you no longer needed without notifying. :cry:

But what equipment do you notify if you have taken it away :?:

You can see what might have been the reasoning - unskilled/ignorant removal of accessories could lead to inappropriate methods of joining cables and to concealed cables no longer complying with the regulations, and the latter can kill people (and has).

So according to Schedule 2B 1 (a) the existing 13A socket can be replaced with a 30A junction box, providing no new fixed cable is used.

From what the OP says, both legs of the ring run frm under the floor up to the socket. Assuming this to be correct, pull one down instead of both and crimp the spur to the second leg. Now connect the first leg to the second under the floor in the joint box, thus maintaining ring continuity.

You have now replaced the 13A socket with a joint box and not used any new fixed wiring in doing so. I think this means that you are not required to notify your work.

Why do you want to remove the socket? What is going to be in that place on the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back