Electric cooker switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had an extension built for a kitchen and extended the existing kitchen ring to support the new sockets. Having fitted spurs with fused 13A switches for the applicances (fridge, dishwasher etc), i've kept that all on the oeneing. I have run a separate 6mm cable from the fuseboard to another 13A fused switch which has a spur running to the cooker connection as I didnt want the load of the oven on the ring as well as the other applicances.

Thing is, the cooker is only a single, running off of the existing kitchen ring on 2.5mm cable. Is it OK to run this on 6mm cable from a 13A fused switch, or should I replace it with a 45A cooker switch?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
this is notifiable work and should only be undertaken if you have contacted the local building control office..

"single cooker", I'm going to assume you mean single oven.. not including the hob??

a single oven should be fine off a 13A fuse switched spur as long as it's power rating does not exceed 3KW..

at some point in the future you will more that likely want to change your oven to a double

Hi, yes its notifiable, as is the entire extension build. i've done the electrics myself, and i have a part P inspector coming out next week to issue a certificate for building control.

Yes, I meant a single oven. The Hob is gas. The reason (dont shoot me down) I went for the design I have with a 13A switch is because I couldnt get a cooker switch that matches the other switches, but if its unsafe I obviously want to put it right (hence this post).

Sounds like I can leave it as it is, and hopefully it'll get approved next week.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back