Cable for low voltage downlights

Sponsored Links
The part which says in every day language the term low voltage refers to below 50v
I suspected that, but have to wonder what part of the "world of everyday language" you live in! Go into any high street store which sells light fittings or lamps/bulbs and ask where you can find the "low voltage" ones, and I'd be extremely surprised if you were directed to 230V products!

... and it's not only 'the general public'. Look at the websites of electrical suppliers such as TLC and you will find sections for "Low Voltage" lights, which is where you will find 12V ones.

We've discussed this issue many times here and, as a result, over the years I have asked many people I come into social contact with what they understand by "low voltage", and I don't think a single one has given me the 'correct' (IEC) answer!

Kind Regards, John

thats why I agree with B-A-S with his very name on this forum. Ban the lot of them and stop the dumbing down of everything!

thats why I agree with B-A-S with his very name on this forum. Ban the lot of them and stop the dumbing down of everything!
Well, yes, but, as I said, in this context, he would have to "ban" most/all electrical wholesalers, as well as the "sheds".

I'm not so sure that it is really 'dumbing down' in this case. In this case, it is the electrical industry which is in a very small minority. A hight proportion of the 60 odd million people in this country, who are the purchasers and users of electrical products, have an understanding of what "low voltage" means, so it seems a little odd to suggest that they should be 'corrected'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Because you always say because most people say something that makes it right.
I'm not sure that's quite the same as most people 'not knowing' something!

Whatever, it's not really a question of 'right' and 'wrong' but, rather, what is best for effective (and safe) communication.

Kind Regards, John

Because you always say because most people say something that makes it right.
I'm not sure that's quite the same as most people 'not knowing' something!
It is similar enough; both are the result of ignorance.

Whatever, it's not really a question of 'right' and 'wrong' but, rather, what is best for effective (and safe) communication.
What does "whatever" mean? You don't care? That's its every day meaning.
Your views on such matters really baffle me.
Heaven forbid anyone should be wrong and told about it.

The best thing for effective (and safe) communication is for everyone to use the correct term, say what they mean and mean what they say.
The fact that a lot of people and some manufacturers use an incorrect term is not.

Saying it doesn't matter when trying to determine what a poster means because it is apparently every day language is ridiculous.

The part which says in every day language the term low voltage refers to below 50v
I suspected that, but have to wonder what part of the "world of everyday language" you live in! Go into any high street store which sells light fittings or lamps/bulbs and ask where you can find the "low voltage" ones, and I'd be extremely surprised if you were directed to 230V products!

... and it's not only 'the general public'. Look at the websites of electrical suppliers such as TLC and you will find sections for "Low Voltage" lights, which is where you will find 12V ones.

We've discussed this issue many times here and, as a result, over the years I have asked many people I come into social contact with what they understand by "low voltage", and I don't think a single one has given me the 'correct' (IEC) answer!

Kind Regards, John

Sadly the electrical suppliers are the worst of all. They also refer to plugs as plugtops and switch mode power supplies as electronic transformers.

What does "whatever" mean? You don't care? That's its every day meaning.
Arrrgh! Not as far as I am concerned it isn't - I refer that one to my offspring :) In any event, that annoying modern use of the word only really applies when it is said 'alone' - not when it is part of a sentence.

Just to be clear, my "Whatever" meant 'regardless of the above', 'notwithstanding the above', or something like that. It's a form of words I often use, so I'm surprised you haven't commented before!
Your views on such matters really baffle me. Heaven forbid anyone should be wrong and told about it.
As I said before, it really depends upon what you regard 'wrong' as meaning. I would suggest that if, say, 90%+ of the population believe (and use) a word or phrase to have one meaning, with the remaining very small minority believing (and using) it to have another meaning, then one has to at least consider the question of who is 'right' and who is 'wrong'. A technical body cannot (or should not) really try to change 'common English usage'.
The best thing for effective (and safe) communication is for everyone to use the correct term, say what they mean and mean what they say.
You've changed the words (from 'wrong'/'right' to 'correct'/incorrect') but my comments above still apply. The IEC may feel that they have provided the 'correct' definition of the terms but, as above, they are not a determinant of 'common English usage. Realistically, it is far easier to change the language usage of a small minority of the population than a large majority.
The fact that a lot of people and some manufacturers use an incorrect term is not.
I would say "most people, a good few manufacturers and many retailers/wholesalers". In one sense, it is to the advantage of 'the masses' that many retailers/wholesalers also use the 'incorrect' terms. Otherwise, someone going into one of these places and asking for a "low voltage 50W lamp/bulb" for their light would, in a very high proportion of cases, probably walk out of the store with a product not suited for their purpose.

Kind Regards, John

Sadly the electrical suppliers are the worst of all. They also refer to plugs as plugtops and switch mode power supplies as electronic transformers.
Indeed - but it the latter case they are often doing no more than correctly quoting what is printed on the product itself (and its documentation). If they insisted on using the 'correct' term, people being handed a product labelled as something else would probably get very confused. If you want to point a finger in that case, it should probably be pointed at the manufacturers.

Kind Regards, John

someone going into one of these places and asking for a "low voltage 50W lamp/bulb"
Do people actually ask that, or do they ask for a 12V or 230V lamp?
Some may ask for 12V ones, but I feel sure that many wouldn't (and many probably wouldn't even know what voltage their 'low voltage' ones were!). We certainly get plenty of questions here about "low voltage" lamps/bulbs and lights (even in the thread titles).

If you recall, I did (a good while ago) "do the experiment" in a number of 'sheds' around here and, in every case, was directed to 12V products when I had asked about "low voltage" ones.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back