Should I replace these 0.75mm Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently working in my loft replacing the insulation above the kitchen, when I pulled back the insulation I noticed the kitchen downlights are wired up using .75mm 2 core flex, i'll try to explain the how they are wired...

There is a junction box above the kitchen which has the mains feed in/out, the switch is also wired to this box, all of this is using 1.5mm twin and earth, the neutral and switched live are connected to another smaller junction box with a small piece of 1.5mm, there are 6 cables coming out of this smaller box, 1 for each of the 6 downlights, this cable is .75mm 2 core flex.

I'm about to remove all the old insulation as its past its best and this would be an ideal time to replace the wires if needed.

Should I replace these cables with 1mm, the circuit breaker in the fuse box is 6amp

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm currently working in my loft replacing the insulation above the kitchen, when I pulled back the insulation I noticed the kitchen downlights are wired up using .75mm 2 core flex, i'll try to explain the how they are wired...

There is a junction box above the kitchen which has the mains feed in/out, the switch is also wired to this box, all of this is using 1.5mm twin and earth, the neutral and switched live are connected to another smaller junction box with a small piece of 1.5mm, there are 6 cables coming out of this smaller box, 1 for each of the 6 downlights, this cable is .75mm 2 core flex.

I'm about to remove all the old insulation as its past its best and this would be an ideal time to replace the wires if needed.

Should I replace these cables with 1mm, the circuit breaker in the fuse box is 6amp

Thanks

0.75mm flex is rated for 6A. Leave it be.

If cable slack allows, run the insulation under the cables.

Thanks for that, saved me a lot work now that I don't need to replace the cables, there is a wee bit of slack so i'll try get the cables as far up into the loft as possible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, saved me a lot work now that I don't need to replace the cables, there is a wee bit of slack so i'll try get the cables as far up into the loft as possible.

No problem. If you can't get the cables completely out of the insulation and laid on top of it, then leave them sat on the plasterboard ceiling or clipped to the ceiling joist or wherever they currently are.

In truth, they will be carrying so little current it's not an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back