Mains Halogen Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I need some help please.

I will be wiring in a dasy chain fashion 4 x 50w mains halogen downlighters with 5amp junction boxes on my hall landing shortly. The circuit fully loaded will not exceed 1200w so all fine there.

My problem is this....

My landing rose is fed via a 0.75mm 2 core heat resistant flex, looks like from the downstairs hall light. (You can switch it on from downstairs or upstairs)

I have bought some new 0.75mm heat resistant 2 core to replace the upstairs 100w pendant with the 4 downlighters (200w total)

The rating of the 2 core 0.75mm cabling is max 6 amp and max 1440w.

Therefor I will be fine to use the o.75mm that urrently feeds the pendant and also use additional 0.75mm to run to the new 4 x downlighters that replace the pendant? All are within tolerance?

Sponsored Links
What size is the overcurrent protective device for the circuit?

YOU MUST NOT USE 2 CORE FLEX.

YOU MUST NOT USE 0.75mm² WIRING

How do you intend to ensure the junction boxes remain accesible?

I get the impression that although you think you are competent to do this work, you are no where near.

Thanks for the reply RF Lighting.

The circuit is protected by a 5 amp fuse.

The rose is currently fed by a 2 core flex and the downlighters only accept a live and neutral feed.

I dont understand why I cannot use the 0.75mm cable when it is rated to 6amp and 1440 watt

Thanks in advance of your help

I forgot to mention the jct boxes are very eccessable as they are in the loft above the landing and will be mounted safely

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply RF Lighting.

The circuit is protected by a 5 amp fuse.

The rose is currently fed by a 2 core flex and the downlighters only accept a live and neutral feed.
And what if in the future someone wants lights that need an earth?

What if in the future somebody wants to add a switch with a metal faceplate?

I dont understand why I cannot use the 0.75mm cable when it is rated to 6amp and 1440 watt
How about because with a rewirable fuse you have to multiply the cable capacity by 0.725, i.e. your 6A cable can actually only carry 4.35A - less than the 5A fuse rating, so your circuit does not comply. And that's before any other factors such as derating for insulation are taken into account.

It was unreasonable of you not to use the right sort of cable, therefore you've also broken the law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back