Installing downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help? I made a earlier post but I think I omitted some important info! So here goes again...

I want to install 6 downlighters in my kitchen. I have made a plan to replace the existing ceiling rose with a 20a junction box. Then run a 1.5mm cable from the junction box to the first downlighter, and daisy chain the remaining 5.

Does anyone have any other advice?

Also, what should I do with the earth core? The downlighter installation instructions state that they are double insulated and should not be earthed? Should I connect the earth in the junction box, connect each earth at each downlight link, and then finally terminated with a choc bloc?

As I understand it, the juntion box performs the same function as the ceiling rose except the physical wiring connection technique is slightly different. That being the case, do I need to worry about the earth as the downlighters will essentially be replacing the 2 core flex that runs to the lampholder (that doesn't have an earth core......??)

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Many thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
do I need to worry about the earth as the downlighters will essentially be replacing the 2 core flex that runs to the lampholder (that doesn't have an earth core......??)

From the point of view of safety the earth wire is THE most important wire. So yes you do have to bother with it.

And the junction box must be accessable.

Quailtrail, Why start a new post? Its only ONE HOUR since you started the other post.

No more advice from me for YOU :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back