3G switch & External light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting my head round more of the electrics in our house which we recently moved into...

In the Kitchen we have a 3 Gang Light Switch.

Two of the switches control lights inside the kitchen and one control power to the outside security light.

Now as the security light is a PIR one it needs power to it all the time - obviously.

The problem is people switching the security light off as it's connected to this 3 gang light switch.

I have semi-solved this by taping the switch down, not ideal.

So, is there a switch or something I can get that will have, for example, two switches and a fused switch? If that makes sense...

In a perfect world I would disconnect it and make a new spur for it off the fuse board, but after a quick fix really that doesn't involve tape :p

This ALSO is the same situation in the lounge, so two new switches would be ideal.[/img]

Sponsored Links
So, is there a switch or something I can get that will have, for example, two switches and a fused switch? If that makes sense…
Not in the one plate unless you use grid switches.
Not sure how it would resolve the problem if there were or why you want a fuse.

So, is there a switch or something I can get that will have, for example, two switches and a fused switch? If that makes sense…
Not in the one plate unless you use grid switches.
Not sure how it would resolve the problem if there were or why you want a fuse.

Well doesn't have to be a fuse, just an example really as usually an external light is a fused spur?

Well doesn't have to be a fuse, just an example really as usually an external light is a fused spur?
Ah, I see. Only if spurred from the socket circuit; not necessary if on the lighting.

I don't know how much work you want or the layout.

What about a high level switch above the present one or a switch elsewhere along the cable run to outside.
A double pole switch would be better if the neutral is available - to isolate if the light should get wet.

Sponsored Links
As per EFLI - I don't see how having a grid switch (with or without a fuse module) will stop people turning off the wrong one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back