PIR security light comes on, halogen downlights flicker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a halogen downlights issue.

I have recently had cause to move a 2-gang light switch. One switch powers the outside security light, the other switch powers 3 x 50W halogen downlights. This is the only switch on a dedicated 6B MCB.

Because of the re-positioning of the switch, the security light cable was too short, so I replaced it like-for-like with 1.5 mm cable, and replaced the security light itself with a 120W unit (halogen bulb).

The problem now is that, when the PIR activates the security light, the downlights all flicker briefly. Any idea as to what might cause this?

Thanks

Trev

Sponsored Links
Are the 3 x 50W halogen downlights 230 volt lamps or 12 volt lamps. (ie lamps with a 230 to 12 volt convertor ) ?

If the 3 x 50W halogen downlights do have a convertor in them then the mostly like cause is the in-rush current to the halogen. This can be ten times the nornal current until the filament reaches white hot temperature. This will momentarily dip the voltage to the down lighters and this dip can create a moment of instability in the convertor's output voltage

Hi Bernard, thanks for your reply.

The bulb itself has "240V 50W" printed on it, the GU10 it plugs into has "2A 250V~" markings, and I don't believe they have convertors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back