MCB tripping on lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a small outbuilding which has a 6A MCB (B6) protecting the lighting circuit. This consisted internally of 8 x 50W halogen downlighters each with its own transformer and 2 x 100W external lights switched through a PIR.

For security reasons I have replaced the 2 x 100W external lights with 2 x 500W floodlights. The MCB now has a tendency to trip. I realise that a 6A rated MCB is right on the limit for the new load. 1mm cable has been used throughout the installation.

Am I in order to upgrade the MCB to 10A to prevent the tripping on this basis?

Sponsored Links
or you could fit 300W tubes in the floods.

Am I in order to upgrade the MCB to 10A to prevent the tripping on this basis?

You could if you can achieve the required disconnection times - Zs values.

Other solution would be to change to a C curve 6A MCB but Zs still would need to be checked.#

Do the two 500 watt lamps come on at the same time with one PIR controlling them ? If so the in-rush current before the lamp reaches full temperature may be the reason the MCB is tripping.

Using two PIRs ( one per lamp ) will stagger the lights and reduce the in-rush current. And if a PIR fails the other will still operate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, one PIR controls both lights. I think the suggestion to fit 300W tubes is probably the easiest solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back