PIR sensor sending signal but light not going on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I installed a PIR sensor halogen security light outside. The light would go on when switched on from switch in house, but I couldn't get the PIR sensor to trigger the light to go on despite going through all trouble shooting options in instructions.

I gave up and bought another one this one also had a remote wireless receiver in the house that emited a chime and switched on a light when the PIR was activated. The remote receiver was triggered easily, but the halogen security light wouldn't go on, same problem as before. So the PIR obviously works, it's sending a signal, but it isn't getting through to the halogen light to make it go on.

any idea what I might be doing wrong? I'm getting very frustrated and can't afford another light to test.

Sponsored Links
have you set the lux level ? is there another light near by ? did you remove the bit of tape from the photocell ? were you only testing it in daylight ?

take your pick

surely the "bit of tape on the photocell" would make it work in daylight anyway as it would see it at total darkness?

Sponsored Links
if it's remote, have you set the address of the light and sensor?

surely these things are addressable to stop you from triggering your neighbours lights if they have the same sort? like the doorbells are..

pick a different setting if they are as there may be a neighbour with the same setup sending an "everything's ok, don't turn the light on" code, overiding yours.. ?

thanks for all responses. The PIR is working as it makes the internal wirefree alarm go off, it just doesn't seem to make the external halogen light go on at the same time.
Is there anyway yI could have wired it up so the PIR sensor works, but it isn't able to send a signal to the halogen light to come on and only sends the wire free signal to the alarm inside as this is what is happening?

Not really had any dealings with RF security lights.
Try going up the ladder and seeing whats happening in the junction box attached to the floodlight with a multimeter.

maybe i'm not explaining well. The halogen floodlight is a standard light with a pir sensor built in/underneath it - this part is not wirefree, so even if I don't use the wirefree alarm that plugs into a plug socket in the house, the floodlight and PIR should work fine by themselves independantly.

It's just odd that I have had two floodlights with PIRs that work when you just switch them on at the wall, but don't get triggered by the sensor.

It is only since buying this new one that has the PIR sensor tigger a remote alarm as well that I know the sensor works as the alarm is triggered by movement infront of the sensor, but the floodlight doesn't go on at the same time.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/702840 this is the first one I got.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/162471 this is the one I have now.

phew my brain hurts.

yeah, you're definitely not setting the dusk sensor right..

there is a little dial / knob / screw hole somewhere that has a crescent moon or sun symbol next to it.. it needs adjusting until it comes on at dusk since it's obious that you have a light source issue nearby that isn't making it dark enough to operate the light sensor..

is there a neighbours landing light shining nearby, or a street light? or a busy main road that shines headlights onto your house every minute?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back