fitting a dimmer with halogen spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI I have 8 halogen spots, currently with 50W bulbs and I have bought a 400W dimmer switch to replace the 1 gang switch, will this work or do I need to replace the bulbs with a lower wattage, or buy a higher voltage dimmer?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
what voltage are the lamps

If 12 volt, is the dimmer and transformers compatible

If 240v, does the dimmer instructions mention if it needs to be derated for halogen loads.

what voltage are the lamps

If 12 volt, is the dimmer and transformers compatible

If 240v, does the dimmer instructions mention if it needs to be derated for halogen loads.

Hi thanks for your reply,
The bulbs are 240W and the dimmer's instructions do not mention anything re halogen loads.

in that case, i suggest you assume that your dimmer is NOT de rated for halogen, so you need either a bigger dimmer or smaller lamps.

if you opt for smaller lamps then you wont need to dim them

Sponsored Links
I assume you meant 240V squire in which case ur original question stated that you have 8 bulbs at 50W which equals 400W.

You can get Aurora derated dimmers at City Electrical. If you can't get derated ones, then double the load. This means a 1000W dimmer.

Hi.........if your lamps are cheap imports rather than one of the main 'branded' lamps with a fused link...it doesn't matter what your dimmer is rated at...when a lamp blows there is a very good chance you will fry the dimmer.

Look at your lamps as well as your choice of dimmer.
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back