Can I use 35w Halogen bulbs in my light fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought some 35w Halogen bulbs (50w are presently fitted) for my light fitting, thinking I could save a bit of electricity. I have now noticed that there is a label marked 50w above each light on the fitting. Will it be a problem if I used a lower wattage bulb? I have a dimmer switch fitted.

Sponsored Links
I have now noticed that there is a label marked 50w above each light on the fitting. Will it be a problem if I used a lower wattage bulb? I have a dimmer switch fitted.

Very unlikely to be a problem. The marking you refer to is very likely the maximum wattage.

Sorry Ricicle, being a mere female I'm not sure what ELV means, but if you are referring to the fitting, it's run off the mains.

Sponsored Links
just fit them.

though a better option would be CFLs (9w) or LED (2-5w) lamps, if you REALLY are serious about saving those KWHs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back