Low voltage lighting and transformers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering installing four low voltage downlights in my kitchen ceiling. The thing is I'm not sure which wattage of light fitting/bulb to buy as I'm not sure what level of brightness the fittings will give in the room once fitted.

I was thinking of buying four 50w fittings, four 50w bulbs and two 105w transformers. If I found the 50w bulbs to be too bright and changed them for 35w would I need to change the transformers too?

Also, is there a general rule of thumb for the amount of lights or bulb wattage per square metre?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can use smaller lamps usually (many electronic transformers also have a minimum wattage).

Most 105va trannys have a range from 35-105va, so even with only 2 20watt lamps on it, it would be fine.

What size room do you have?? A room 3 x 3 lit by 4 50w downlights is usually fine. BUT i would recommend under cupboard lights for task lighting (the downlights can cast shadows.)

You might want to consider 1 transformer per fitting. They are only about a fiver each and just sit loose inside the ceiling. I took that advice from this forum and my local electrical store.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies chaps. The room is 4m x 3m and has good under cupboard lights fitted. By the sounds of things I would get away with four 50w but I may go for six 35w to give a better spread of light. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back