Low Voltage Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some low voltage downlights in my bathroom and I want to change the bulbs to LED (already purchased) to lower the running costs.

One thing I dont understand though is that it says on my transformers that they take 0.26A on the pri side (about 50w) so does that mean that regardless of the bulb used they will still draw 50w per fitting or am I getting this wrong?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are they led rated tranformers (drivers) because they may not work or eventually damage the led's if not.

If they say they work with normal transformers, they must have resistors or similar in them to increase the load, so won't save any energy......

Sponsored Links
Are they led rated tranformers (drivers) because they may not work or eventually damage the led's if not.

They are philips LED bulbs and say they work with normal transformers.
Good luck then.
I would suspect that the pri (primary) reference of 0.26A = 60w is the maximum power the transformer can handle.
Since your single lamp, which should have a built in driver, will be drawing in the region of 4w? (I assume its extra low voltage MR16 -
http://www.philips-led-lighting.co.uk/philips_master_led/philips_masterled_mr16_gu5.3_dichroic.html ) you wont exceed that.

If they say they work with normal transformers, they must have resistors or similar in them to increase the load, so won't save any energy......

Ehh, so if they say they draw 8w you say they will draw more?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back