Downlights - replacing 12v low voltage vs mains powered?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 4 12v downlights in my kitchen but one is not working, on inspection the low voltage transformer in the ceiling has a huge burnt hole in it...obviously the problem!!

Can anyone tell me the benefit of running 4 low voltage lights with transformers (that potentially burn out!) with 50w MR16 bulbs in?

I'm thinking I may as well remove the transformers and put in fire rated mains wired downlights with no transformer required?

Any help/recommendations/reasons for not doing it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'd keep the SELV fittings, as you'll get slightly more (and a better spread of) light from them than their 230v counterparts. Just buy a replacement transformer.

WRT the burnt out transformer, was it covered in insulation? If so, that would explain what happened. Likewise, the fittings also need plenty of free space around them as well.

Of course, if fire rated fittings are required in your kitchen and should have been fitted right from the start, it would be a good idea to change them.

Can anyone tell me the benefit of running 4 low voltage lights with transformers (that potentially burn out!) with 50w MR16 bulbs in?
Poor room lighting.

High running costs.

I'm thinking I may as well remove the transformers and put in fire rated mains wired downlights with no transformer required?

Cheers for the replies. The burnt out transformer had plenty of space, with no insulation around it, same as the lights. Think I will just get a new transformer then, was just a bit vary after the last burn out.

I agree with the high running costs but want to keep the cost low at the moment as when the kitchen is replaced I will be removing the existing lights and have decent lighting installed (and the low energy lights will hopefully be a bit cheaper by then!!!).

Sponsored Links
The ones I linked to are cheap.

I've just installed some, and they work fine, but TBH they are pretty much on the limit of what I'd call acceptable quality. Nowhere near as good as the Thorn Chalice 190, for example, but then those are about twice the price.

Once in, they're fine, but you can see where corners have been cut. Does it matter? As long as the ballasts don't got t*ts-up, not really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back