Replacing Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have completely gutted our ensuite, At the moment there are 4 mr16 12v 50w downlights dangling down. These need replacing as, at some point whilst removing ceiling for renovations, some of the lighting fixtures were taken off and have been lost in the rubble.

I would like to replace these lights with 4 mains 240v downlights as I believe there are more LED variety with mains GU10 lights as opposed to low voltage mr16.

My question is would is be a simply swap. i.e taking lighting fixture and transformer off and replace with mains voltage lighting fixture or do I need to replace the existing wiring as well? I ask this as the existing wiring consists of thin white wires and I thought it would have been the standard grey thicker lighting wire.

Sponsored Links
My question is would is be a simply swap. i.e taking lighting fixture and transformer off and replace with mains voltage lighting fixture or do I need to replace the existing wiring as well? I ask this as the existing wiring consists of thin white wires and I thought it would have been the standard grey thicker lighting wire.
It should be a straight forward swap, but that is assuming that the connection terminals are suitable and will be accessible when ceiling is replaced.
The existing white flex could likely be heat resistant as the lamps and transformers can get quite hot and small core flex can be much easier to fit in to the connection enclosures and terminals.
LED lighting has advanced greatly in recent years and there are number of downlight combinations available now on the market,

Assuming each downlighter had it's own individual transformer, it should be simple - but you describe thin white wires, which doesn't sound good.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed if I pull a bit more than I find the usual grey wires.

I will therefore get the mains voltage fixings that are suitable for bathrooms i.e. IP65/66.

One more question...do I need the fire rated ones or does that not matter since I am buying ones suitable for bathrooms?

Unless the ceiling you are installing them into is a deliberate fire barrier, then fire rated fittings are not required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back