Spot light transformer tripping.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi One of my low voltage spot lights blew.When I went to replace it found that the block connector had melted and also that the transformer was U/S.Got a replacement 12v 50va transformer replacement and rewired up
bulb (12v 50w).The light works fine but after a while the light goes off I
think the transformer thermo switch is tripping cooling and then light comes back on.The other 2 spots lights are fine.Would reducing the bulb down to 12v 20w cure this as transformer said 50w bulb was max or is their an electrical problem???

Sponsored Links
no, you hit the nail on the head..

the transformer is overheating and tripping out just as you say..

it's normal to put larger transformers than the lamp needs.. unless the transformer is situated in a well ventilated aera or on something that conducts heat well..

Thanks ColJack
So would fitting lower wattage bulb work.The spot light is fitted into the kitchen ceiling and I suspect that it would have poor ventilation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back