Problem with dimmable switch & halogen lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light fitting with four 35W GU10 halogen bulbs, together with a dimmer switch. The bulbs used to go quite quickly and I understand this may be due to the combination of a dimmable switch and halogen lights, therefore, I have tended to have the dimmer on full or just under.

The other night I turned the dimmer down a little from maximum and the dimmer switch seemed to light up and will no longer work (I live in an area where the power off goes off or reduces during high winds which were present at the time). Having taken the front off the dimmer switch there is a slight black smoke mark. Is this due to a dimmer switch not being suitable for the light fitting or could it be something else?

Sponsored Links
When using dimmer switches with GU10 lamps, you need to make sure the rating of the dimmer is well above the total load output of your lamps.
Are you sure they are all 35W and what rating is the dimmer switch?

Frankie....what do you mean by 'the dimmer switch seemed to light up'? and also did the dimmer not working coincide with one of your GU10 lamps failing?.......

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your dimmer's packed in.

GU10's are a nightmare.

You need the best quality ones with ballotini fuses built-in, especially with dimmers, or when they go, your dimmer goes with it.

Buy a soft-start dimmer (this increases lamp life) and ensure it is derated if necessary. This means if you have 140W of lighting connected to that dimmer, you need a switch capable of running 280W. The nearest will be a 400W dimmer. Be aware though that 400W dimmers generally have a minimum load of 60W, so if you only have one one 35W lamp connected, the dimmer will struggle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back