Halstead Ace He 30 Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd really appreciate if someone could explain this to me, just moved into a house with the above boiler.

The boiler itself has a mechanical clock on it where you select times by depressing the segments and a switch to accompany the timer with the options (1, timer, 0).

I don't understand the function of the timer? I thought combis were all on demand based so unless the thermostat in the house calls for the radiators to go on then the boiler doesn't fire up?

The previous owner left certain segments depressed on the clock but left the switch on the 1 - 'continuous on' position. Does this mean the boiler is always working and I'll have a massive bill coming? Its in the garage and I can sometimes hear it when the thermostat is set way low but is that just frost protection kicking in?

If I set the timer switch to zero, then will it just be the thermostat in the house that controls the heating?

I've read the manual but it just explains how to set the clock not actually the function it serves.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can clear this up?

Much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Does this mean the boiler is always working and I'll have a massive bill coming?

If it's a Halstead Ace it'll rarely be working and you'll have a massive bill coming... they aren't wonderfully reliable and spares prices are just about the highest in the industry. Keep some money by just in case, and be prepared to replace the boiler once it starts getting unreliable.

As to your question, assuming it's wired correctly the "1" position on the timer will mean that the heating is on any time the room thermostat is calling for heat, but it shouldn't override it. The timed position only allows the heating to be on at the selected times, when the thermostat is also calling, and the "0" position is heating off - it prevents the heating coming on regardless of what the thermostat is doing.

Thanks for the reply and for the heads up on the quality of the boiler, I'll hold some money back just in case.

That's got me thinking though..

I was hoping to replace 4x single panel non-convector radiators (prob 1980s) in the upstairs bedrooms with more modern convectors. Will the boiler be able to cope, do you think?

Thanks again!

The boiler will certainly cope unless your house is huge with a large number of radiators.
Is the pipework into the upstairs radiators 15mm and do the existing radiators get nice and hot reasonably quickly when the heating is running?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. The upstairs old rads get hot just fine. I will check the pipework but I'm assuming its ok as the bathroom has a 'modern' chrome towel rail style heater in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back