Halstead Ace High intermittent DHW faults

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sorry for the epic post.

I have a Halstead Ace High combi boiler, around 10 years old and in pretty good condition; the rest of the system probably less so.

The CH has always been reliable. Recently I have been having intermittent problems with the DHW. When it works, the DHW works well and can heat a large flow rate (shower) to a good temperature. When it doesn't work, the symptoms are:

1) DHW sometimes fails to respond to demand. This can persist for many minutes, but it self corrects eventually.
2) DHW sometimes responds to demand but shuts off after a minute or so.
3) Boiler sometimes fires randomly for a few seconds, but I can find no mention of preheat in the installation/maintenance manual and there is no preheat control on the front panel.
4) Very occasionally, the boiler kettles and vents steam after a long DHW draw off.

I have looked at the following:

1) Secondary heat exchanger. I have removed this a couple of times and flushed it out. The first time I found a 1-inch nail (this was obviously a proper high-quality installation job) and a very small amount of black flaky scale. The hot side of the exchanger is coated with a thin layer of sooty black material that mostly wipes off, but doesn't flush out with water. There doesn't seem to be anything in there that significantly reduces the flow though.
2) Thermistors. I haven't managed to find a reliable spec for the thermistors, but both are giving around 16k when cold (whole diverter cooled to mains temp by running HW with boiler off) and well under 10k when hot. I haven't tried swapping or replacing these.
3) Flow switches. Both flow switches appear to be fine. DHW demand reliably gives 0V across DHW switch terminals on PCB. Primary flow switch reliably closes when the pump comes on.
4) Wiring. Opening the control panel seems to cure problems with failing to respond to DHW demand. I suspected a bad connection in the low voltage loom, but I have had the loom out and wiggled it around a lot with a meter on it and haven't been able to find any continuity issues.

Other things:

The DHW pump overrun is only 3 or 4 seconds. Is this a fault? The overrun time is not specified in the manual. Explains the kettling perhaps?

I can't reproduce any of the faults with the control panel open, which is incredibly frustrating.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The boiler firing randomly suggests the primary thermistor could be on the way out (it provides frost protection), you dont say if the boiler has the same trouble with the taps or is it only the shower thats giving problems?

Taps are the same, I'm fairly sure the problem is the boiler not the shower mixer.

Could the primary thermistor reading 'too cold' explain the short pump underrun as well? I had read online that it was timed and not on a thermostat, but again no solid info.

Either way, I have just ordered a new pair of thermistors as I've run out of ideas and its a cheap first option.

Sponsored Links
In the end I fixed this by replacing the low voltage loom. I think the problem was the connector between the loom and the PCB, but I also changed the microswitches for some better quality ones while I was at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back