Hand Rail - made and fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a ramp to access my house. The ramp levels off at the top by the door and I wish to extend this area by around 800mm, both out from the door and away from the ramp. Basically make a larger square.

The main challenge I foresee is around the handrail. The existing handrail is fairly simple, around 1.2m high with a vertical bar about 40cm below the top bar. Horizontal posts about every 1.2m. I would like my new rail to be similar to this.

The base is only 40cm or so above the ground. The wall of my new base will have facing brick and be two bricks wide. The concrete base it then around 8cm thick on top of my base.

1. Where would I get a quote for my handrail? I know exact sizes I need (anywhere online?)
2. To install such a rail, would it typically sit directly ontop of my base wall then I would place my concrete top to fix it in place?

Does that make sense?

Sponsored Links
www.keesafety.co.uk On the menu click safety barrier systems - then on the dropdown click kee klamp. Then you need a general builder not a metal fabricator :idea:

Sponsored Links
www.keesafety.co.uk On the menu click safety barrier systems - then on the dropdown click kee klamp. Then you need a general builder not a metal fabricator :idea:

Thanks.

I can do the rest of the work - just need the new steel and some guidance on how to fit it.

Try looking in your local telephone book for Blacksmiths. I have seen these sort of things with a plate on the base of the uprights which is rawlplugged into the concrete. There is a lot of leverage between the handrail and the fixings which tend to burst out the concrete. Another (better) system is to fix the uprights into the side of the plinth, with a decent overlap , a lot less leverage.
Frank

Try looking in your local telephone book for Blacksmiths. I have seen these sort of things with a plate on the base of the uprights which is rawlplugged into the concrete. There is a lot of leverage between the handrail and the fixings which tend to burst out the concrete. Another (better) system is to fix the uprights into the side of the plinth, with a decent overlap , a lot less leverage.
Frank

Thanks - will phone a couple

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back