Painting hand rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed the stair wooden hand rails from the wall brackets so tomorrow i will be sanding them down ready for repainting so what it the right method for repainting, do i repaint the full length of the handrail sides and finish on top of the handrail or do i paint all the way around the handrail working my way down the length of it?

Sponsored Links
A bit of both! Go with the grain of the wood, i.e down the length of the rail, a decent section at a time - say 1m -(doing front, top, back) keeping a wet edge.

You will have to wait for the paint to dry then turn the rail over and do the bottom edge (i.e. the edge the rail was sitting on while you did the rest of it).

Another method is to screw a couple of small blocks of wood to the underside of the rail where the brackets attach and you can paint the whole rail in one go.

Rest the blocks (one at each end) on something (bench, ladder, chair etc) then lift and paint the one end, rest the block back down, continue along the length and just lift the other end up to finish the job before leaving to dry. Remove the the blocks when dry and the brackets will cover where the blocks were.

This method eliminates the risk of overlap marks you might get when doing it in 2 separate stages - you can always feel them on a handrail! :evil:

This method eliminates the risk of overlap marks you might get when doing it in 2 separate stages - you can always feel them on a handrail! :evil:

Umm. Feeling handrails for overlap marks...I think you can get therapy on the NHS for that, misterhelpful!

Sponsored Links

Umm. Feeling handrails for overlap marks...I think you can get therapy on the NHS for that, misterhelpful!

I like your 'moving blocks' solution, though. Very Flintstones :LOL:

I know, but there's a hell of a waiting list - check my profile! :rolleyes:

I like your 'moving blocks' solution, though. Very Flintstones :LOL:

Maybe, but it gets the job done much quicker, which is very important for those in the trade. ;)

Bikeit,

Hope your keeping well and those purdy's are up to snuff. Seeing as you have gone to the trouble of removing the handrail, the advice offered by MrH is the way to go, and always remember that the most important tools a Decorator has are their hands, for they will find imperfections that the eye cannot see.

Dec

The Dec still using the Purdy brushes will not use any other brushes in furture,
took the advise from you and of MrH, as we speak the handrail is all undercoated sitting out in the garage drying.

Glad to here it mate, and by the way how is that front door looking.

Dec

Its still looking pretty good, will i need to re-coat it this summer, or its that over kill?

If my memory serves correct you applied Sadolin as opposed to the Sikkens thb system, so if the door in anyway is offering a dull appearance wipe off any accumulation of dust and grime, lightly sand with nothing less than 240 grit dust off and offer the door the added protection of survival.

One of the most important factors with regard to exterior decoration or in indeed decorative painting, is not to allow the paint system to both fail and degrade.

Happy Easter mate,

Dec

Cheers The Dec, help and informative as always.
have a nice break over easter

All done and refitted, allowed two days for the gloss to dry before handling, thanks to all who gave helpful advise as always.

Image0274.jpg

Image0273.jpg

Image0272.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back