Removing paint from an old metal handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just looking for tips to remove the paint on this handrail below and then I intend to repaint it, I was thinking about using a small angle grinder but I doubt I'd be able to get into the swirls etc.

I know that paint stripper isn't what it was years ago however I did get a quote to have it dipped and stripped but the guy never got back to me then I was messed about by a blacksmith for over four months who was going to replace the hand rail with a modern powder coated one for about £1300 but I ended up canceling the order with him as he was just a complete time-waster.

I may however go back down that road with someone else in the spring so if anyone can recommend someone in the Glasgow area I'd definitely consider that but in the meantime I thought I'd maybe try to remove the paint and repaint it myself.

Probably a waste of time though.

Thanks

Tony

A46A4B31-1A07-40A0-99CA-C0A97883BCC2.jpeg
3DA0FC09-0643-462F-811D-689BA9C5D657.jpeg
54B43BB6-A137-4EDC-8DD5-3A6C5075806B.jpeg
0A24B129-B155-4FDF-AE0B-4975EEBF784E.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er, so feel free to ignore! :)

I have attacked metal like that with a flap disc in an angle grinder - though take care; a course disc can start eating into the metal quite quickly!

I would probably use a dremmel, or similar for the swirls.

Good luck, that looks a fair bit of work! :confused:

...I forgot to say, if you do want to make life easier for yourself, you could considering hiring someone to soda blast it! :)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/non-wove...VDZ53Ch1sEA90EAQYAiABEgJGkPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Some of these on an angle grinder work well.
They remove paint and varnish but not too much metal. I use them for removing paint on old bike frames and tin wear .

you might also try synstryp stripper. It is commercial grade so eye protection and complete coverage of skin is needed. It costs £30-40 a gallon. But it contains all the horrible chemicals so a face mask / respirator is wise.

lastly, a mains powered drill plus wire brush will get into nooks and crannies.
Buy a flexible drive shaft to fit between the drill and brushes.
This makes tight spots easier to work at.
I tend to G clamp the drill to a surface to stop the shaft winding itself into a knot

Sponsored Links
...I forgot to say, if you do want to make life easier for yourself, you could considering hiring someone to soda blast it! :)

Thanks, aye I looked at shot blasting the other day, looks a right carry on, I thought about hiring the stuff and doing it myself but probably better removing the lot and taking it to a stripping place.

I think it would have to be removed anyway if I did go down the shot blasting road I doubt it could be done in situ without damaging the surrounding area/house.

As above, grinder and wire brush for the bulk, smaller wire brush for the fiddly bits, paint stripper and wire wool for any books you can't get by other means. Modern stripper is nowhere near as vicious as old Nitromors but it still does the job ( Toolstations pet brand stuff is a gel rather than a liquid which helps)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back