Removing emulsion paint from plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've removed artex from a bathroom wall as it was trapping black mould. I would like to repaint straight onto the old plaster after preparation, but the emulsion applied by a previous owner has only come away in patches. I've used a steam stripper but it hasn't removed all the old paint.

Short of using a wallpaper scraper which is very laborious, has anyone used a chemical paint stripper with success?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
hello, i would not use a chemical stripper under any circumstances to remove emulsion of any wall,because its just to messy and you would need a lot of stripper. a steam stripper should have taken all the paint off,but you need the right scraper to make the job easier,the one to use is a long handled one with a sharp blade,they retail between five and thirty pounds,if you go to a decorating centre they will be able to help you.preparation will always take time.

A word of warning when using steamers; don’t over do it in an attempt to shift the paint or you will blow the finish plaster off the base coat; sometimes you will hear it cracking & then you’ll be looking even more remedial work.

When you come to prime the bare plaster for redecoration don’t use PVA, use either a proprietary primer or ordinary matt emulsion thinned 25-30%.

Sponsored Links
If the emulsion had been done properly NONE of it would have come off :eek: . It`s not supposed to come off :idea: You might get the plaster itsself blowing off the wall with over use of that steamer :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back