Stripping emulsion off plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a poor multi layer emulsion on plaster job to remove, it's flaking away can get my scraper behind it in places. It's been put on layer after layer and no misting coat was applied. Reluctant to use my steam stripper as the heat blows the plaster skim off in places. Is there a good chemical stripper on the market to get this off.

Sponsored Links
What type of scraper were you using?

I used one of these to do something similar the other day. Admittedly, a very small area, but it worked without digging in when pulling towards me and steadying the head with my other hand:
https://www.toolstation.com/general-purpose-scraper/p82217
(Sorry, I know nothing about chemical strippers. Hopefully, someone else will be along to answer...)

You have my sympathy
A few years ago I removed 30 year old paper from a through lounge and discovered paint underneath
I did use some steam, but kept it minimal to protect the plaster
I ended up using a 4" hand scraper to remove the paint, sometimes one that was Stanley blade size
I mainly avoided dinks in the wall, sometimes sheets of paint would come off, sometimes a bus ticket sized bit

You can use powered sanders to remove the paint but if you don't have a dust extractor (read: vacuum cleaner connected to the tool it is very messy). Even then, if the walls have been painted with silk or eggshell the paint will overheat and gum up as you try to sand it.

There are a numerous chemical strippers, eg

Peel Away 1

But you may find it is more expensive than re-plastering.

If cost is critical but your own time less so, then filling/sanding and then a thick lining paper might be the better option.

There are tools that will mechanically grind the paint away but they will damage the plaster.

Sponsored Links
I spent two weeks doing this about 4 years ago.
Vinyl wallpaper/ backing/ paint / distemper/ repairs/ sanding
The room is about 12x24

I used a titan sander with an Aldi vacuum that is controlled by the sander.
If you take care it's doable but takes ages. I used holiday so time was "free"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back