Hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know whether there is such a thing as a T-shaped wall hanger?

My front and back walls are thicker and stronger than an off-centre wall that I want to use as additional support. With conventional hangers, this 'central' wall will become a main support. (Not happy.) What would be ideal is a long metal sleeve joining two joist ends and making them into one beam front and back, with a fixing that straddles the 'central' wall. I reckon that would place the main stress on the front and back walls. Apparently, there is no beam long enough to span front and back. The main roof truss does this, but no one would walk on it so it is not likely to get worn through by the central wall.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the beams were timber, that would not work. In fact it wouldn't work whatever the beams were made of.
(Can't quite understand what you're after but is this a loft conversion in which you have a non-loadbearing partition in the middle and are trying to span front-to-back?).

Sort of. The non-load-bearing partition supports joists on the ground-floor ceiling, but, above that, it was never designed to!

Yes, I'm trying to span front to back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back