Hanging a new door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I hope someone could please give me some advice.
I am a complete DIY beginner and having bought a new flat am looking to make a few changes.

1) The door to the bathroom (which is connected to the lounge) opens into the lounge and wastes a great deal of space. What I would like to do is hang it the other way so that it opens into the bathroom. Is that something I would be able to do myself or would I have to get a pro in? If I get a pro in does anyone have an idea on how much it may cost?

2) I would like to replace all internal doors. How easy is it to hang a new door?

Any suggestions would be greatfully recieved.

Regards

George

Sponsored Links
I'm not very good at door hanginging, so I won't say much but a couple of tips:

I borrowed a pair of folding wedges once, which enable you to support the door and adjust its height while you mark and fix the hinges - very handy. Almost impossible without, especially for a heavy door like fire resist or hardwood external.

Having taken doors off for decorating etc and then tried to re-hang them in the same screw holes, I find they're never exactly right again. So now I love lift-off hinges (or loose pin for non-secure doors) that enable you to lift the door off without unscrewing the hinges, so the door re-hangs in exactly the same position (it's also much quicker and easier to lift the doors on and off).

John

To turn a door round like this the door will need to be humg in a rebate. Most internal doors have a casing with a rebate for the door at one side:

Door_1a.jpg

In order to turn it round the door needs to sit inside a rebate on the other side, so it may be necessary to run a rebated "filler" block round the existing rebate before rehanging the door in the newly created rebate, thus:

Door_1b.jpg

If you don't have a router a rebated filler can be created by glueing together two pieces of material, thus:

Door_1c.jpg

You may need to move the architrave on the original inside to make it look a bit better.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Scrit

Sponsored Links
If you're doing a few, these can really help. You can make your own for pretty much nothing, but these don't cost the earth. Oh, one other thing hanging a door is considerably more difficult than it looks :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back