Hanging cricket ball and adjustments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping we have some cricket fans in the house!
I've created this hanging ball contraption in the garage.

1701960047240.png

It's has a screw on the ceiling and the string is tied to this.

I now want to be able to adjust the length of the string (practice front and back foot strokes). If I tie a knot, it ruins the string and I can't get back to the longer length. I put another screw in the ceiling with a washer (15cm away from the existing screw). I used this to wrap the string around and get to my desired length. The problem is that as the ball swings back and forth, the string unwraps from this washered-screw and returns to the full length.

I am hoping that there is a simple solution to this and I would be grateful for your comments.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
This has got A&E written all over it when the string snaps and the ball ricochets' back at you.
Or the ball hits the ceiling and comes flying back at you at speed.

Short flat timber or piece of metal drill three hole in it and thred on rope below ball , can be moved on rope but locked when pulled tight .
and loop the string through these holes in a certain format to avoid it coming lose again?

Swingball was good to practice technique and sharpen reflexes with a racquet but i'm wondering how this will do either for your cricket game.

Swingball was good to practice technique and sharpen reflexes with a racquet but i'm wondering how this will do either for your cricket game.
My kids use it and it teaches you to watch the ball, move your feet in relation to the changing direction of the ball along with the position of arms, heads, etc. It is not designed to whack but basic defensive drills. It's a well established drill used all over the world.

My kids use it and it teaches you to watch the ball, move your feet in relation to the changing direction of the ball along with the position of arms, heads, etc. It is not designed to whack but basic defensive drills. It's a well established drill used all over the world.

On the principle of - no gain, without pain?

Would a fine link chain be any stronger than rope or string?
If a link breaks you can either afix it to the next one or solder them back together.
A cup washer at the top and bottom to hold it in place, then maybe seal the drilled hole with wax for a snug fit.

It all sounds like a lot of fiddlin' about to practise defensive strokes.

Could I have a small piece of wood (say 5cm long and a couple of centre metres wide) with a cut on both ends. I can then have this along the vertical hang of the string and wrap the string around these two cuts. Gravity will mean that the string should not come undone. I can then wrap/unwrap appropriately.

Hope that makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back