victorian house movement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having some movement related issues with our Victorian house, hopefully someone can give me some advice as it's giving me sleepless nights!

Our house is detached, has 4 storeys ( has attic conversion and cellar). The external walls of the house form the boundary with neighbours, we have a corridor/passage on the front right of our house with flag stones in it, which is the access to the back garden. I've included a diagram, apologies for the crap quality. View media item 62109
When we viewed the house ten years ago we got a surveyor in who noted the building had suffered a bit of "movement" - the right hand flank wall of the house leans somewhat at the front and has dropped a bit through what he termed "settling into the clay soil" - this is the case at the back also, but to a much lesser amount.

We spoke to a few neighbours of 30 years+ who said it'd been like that since they moved in, and had never been an issue. The surveyor said the movement was so old it was not worth worrying about, but just needed monitoring to make sure it was not ongoing if we purchased. He pointed out in his report that there'd been some work done internally to close up the cracks from when the movement occured but that there'd been no underpinning or foundation work. The surveyor apparently dug a small test pit in the corridor under the flags to have a look at the footings of the wall.

So we bought the house, getting it very cheaply factoring in the very poor state of decor throughout and the fact it needed reroofing and had basically no kitchen. A lot of people moved in to houses nearby at the same time as us, and later all said the state of the decor and amount of cosmetic work needed on our house had put them off (none mentioned any structural problems as a factor).

So a few years ago, in the corner of the front upstairs bedroom a crack started to open up where the leaning wall meets the ceiling, and a much smaller hairline crack opened in the rear bedroom along the same wall - indicating at least to me that the wall is still moving outwards, and possibly downwards to a lesser extent. A crack which had previously been filled in the centre wall of the house which divides the bedrooms started to open up also.

I got a builder friend I used to be in touch with to come and look at it, who said the movement was very small and told me to stitch the crack in the wall using helifix bars, and fill the other cracks with mastic, which I did. He suggested as a precaution we get our drains looked at, as for some reason known only to victorian architects, our private sewer (which serves only our house) runs right under our side passage / corridor, parallel with the leaning wall along it's entire length. To add insult to injury we've recently discovered there is a small public sewer on the other side of the leaning wall under our neighbours path !! So given the promixity of the two sewers to the footings of that wall, I'm not that surprised it has moved historically, through possible leakage of the sewers or the settlement of the soil over time after the sewer was originally dug out I guess.

We had our drain inspected, the drain company said it wasn't damaged but a few joints were a bit offset so lining it was worth it given the movement of the house, so we had that done last year. We told the water board we were worried their sewer was potentially causing our house to move, and they sent some cowboys to look at it, who stuck a camera down for 30 seconds, said it was fine, didn't need lining or any repairs then buggered off, even though our neighbours path appears to have dipped all along the sewer line :(

Coming to the present day, the crack at the top of the wall in the front bedroom has opened up again, albeit slightly, but it is now making me anxious - I can't ignore it and just continue filling the cracks, as I'm sure the movement is ongoing, if slight. So i'm considering fitting some "old fashioned" tie bars across the span of the house, under the attic and upstairs floors with pattresses on the outside, to stop the lateral movement in this wall. Would this wall tie approach be worth it, or has anyone got a better idea? - The modern helifix products all seem to fix into floor joists which I don't think would provide enough support, plus there are no available joists in the attic where the movement is greater.

As the movement seems to be mainly lateral I may just be worrying about nothing here, but given the proximity of the sewers to the base of the footings, I'm wondering if some work needs to be done on the footings to stop any more movement. I pulled some flags in the corridor up and dug a very small hole to have a look, and the footings under this wall are about 40cm deep, with a pyramid style, fanning out over 2 bricks. I don't see how a traditional underpinning solution with loads of concrete would work given the sewer is directly underneath where the underpinning would be and the access is so limited.

I'm wondering if a piled solution could be put in such close proximity to a sewer, perhaps shire piles? Or maybe a ground stabilization solution like Uretek might work to stop any further movement? Could the footings be widened somehow to lessen any further sinking into the ground (considering the load of the wall is already distributed through the ground the sewer passes through). Could the wall be tied to the opposite inside wall of the corridor with ties of some sort to effectively make the footing the width of the corridor?

Any help or advice anyone can give me would be gratefully received!

cheers

Hob

Sponsored Links
Sure thing, here they are:

the chimney stack is approximately a straight line with where the side of the house should be so you can get an idea of the amount of lean on the outside wall (ignore the terrible repointing done by a local building "expert")
View media item 62165
this crack has been filled repeatedly over a 8 year period, similar but lesser crack along rest of bedroom wall, and back bedroom
View media item 62162
hard to get a good angle, but the path in the corridor dips towards the right hand outside wall, and especially at the front - our sewer runs right under the path inside the corridoor about 1m deep at the far end, deepening gradually towards the front
View media item 62164

gives some idea of the amount of distortion to the archway
View media item 62166
distortion is much less at the back, you can see the crack in the brickwork which has never been repointed
View media item 62163
inspection hole which shows footings are 38cm below ground level, 2 bricks pyramided out
View media item 62161

If those sewers have been there for 100+ years and that is all the movement that you are getting then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Very similar story at our house where the lounge has a cellar and the hall doesn't, the external wall of the hall is right by our drains. These leaked in the 70s and this resulted in that side of the house dropping by 2"+. It was then underpinned on the side with shallow foundations and is now fine (infact, probably more stable than all the other victorian houses on our street).

All I would do is keep an eye on the sewers and make sure they are well looked after in the future, you really dont want to be underpinning unless you can help it and I suspect it would be tricky with the location of the sewers.

Sponsored Links
On that pic of the front of the house - I don't know if it just an optical illusion, but the fixings for the gutter downpipe appear to be slightly further set in from the corner the further up the wall they go. Is the downpipe actually entirely vertical the whole way up or leaning slightly to the left?

I'm in a Victorian terrace here and have a very similar (but larger) internal crack in the corner formed by the rear and party wall to next door. In winter it's about 3/4", in summer is reduces to about 1/2" - worried the hell out of me at first, but it's consistently done that over the 6 or so years I've been here and has become no worse. Thankfully that corner is covered by a built in wardrobe so aesthetics aren't really a concern.

If that wall were really on the move I believe you'd see tell-tale worsening cracking on the exterior brickwork. You could fairly easily monitor it for movement in a couple of ways.

First would be to attach a long plumb line near the top of the wall hanging down to ground level, allow it to finish swinging around and accurately measure the distance from it to the base of the wall. Repeat every few months and record the results. Just make sure to attach the plumb line in the exact same place each time - perhaps screw an eyelet into a brick to use.

Second would be to mark points on the wall in horizontal pairs, one of each pair near the leaning edge, the other about a metre in on the front wall. Maybe 2 or 3 pairs down the wall. Then again accurately measure the distance between each of the pairs every few months and compare results.

If you end up having to go through insurance to underpin to stop movement, without significant obvious new cracking they will likely require similar monitoring and measurement over a period of time before agreeing to it (although I expect their methods would be more scientific and accurate). :D

Just some thoughts there from a practical perspective, I'm not a structural engineer or surveyor so take it or leave it!

If those sewers have been there for 100+ years and that is all the movement that you are getting then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Very similar story at our house where the lounge has a cellar and the hall doesn't, the external wall of the hall is right by our drains. These leaked in the 70s and this resulted in that side of the house dropping by 2"+. It was then underpinned on the side with shallow foundations and is now fine (infact, probably more stable than all the other victorian houses on our street).

All I would do is keep an eye on the sewers and make sure they are well looked after in the future, you really dont want to be underpinning unless you can help it and I suspect it would be tricky with the location of the sewers.

I see what you're saying re: the underpinning, I just don't see how it is practicable for this wall due to the sewer location, unless anyone can suggest a method would work.

On that pic of the front of the house - I don't know if it just an optical illusion, but the fixings for the gutter downpipe appear to be slightly further set in from the corner the further up the wall they go. Is the downpipe actually entirely vertical the whole way up or leaning slightly to the left?

I'm in a Victorian terrace here and have a very similar (but larger) internal crack in the corner formed by the rear and party wall to next door. In winter it's about 3/4", in summer is reduces to about 1/2" - worried the hell out of me at first, but it's consistently done that over the 6 or so years I've been here and has become no worse. Thankfully that corner is covered by a built in wardrobe so aesthetics aren't really a concern.

If that wall were really on the move I believe you'd see tell-tale worsening cracking on the exterior brickwork. You could fairly easily monitor it for movement in a couple of ways.

First would be to attach a long plumb line near the top of the wall hanging down to ground level, allow it to finish swinging around and accurately measure the distance from it to the base of the wall. Repeat every few months and record the results. Just make sure to attach the plumb line in the exact same place each time - perhaps screw an eyelet into a brick to use.

Second would be to mark points on the wall in horizontal pairs, one of each pair near the leaning edge, the other about a metre in on the front wall. Maybe 2 or 3 pairs down the wall. Then again accurately measure the distance between each of the pairs every few months and compare results.

If you end up having to go through insurance to underpin to stop movement, without significant obvious new cracking they will likely require similar monitoring and measurement over a period of time before agreeing to it (although I expect their methods would be more scientific and accurate). :D

Just some thoughts there from a practical perspective, I'm not a structural engineer or surveyor so take it or leave it!

Cheers GeeTee, I could fix something to hang a long plumb from and make some measurements, good idea.

The downpipe follows the wall fairly closely, so it is actually a small curve from top to bottom. There are cracks on the front of the house, and evidence of a massive crack which has been mortared in, plus one which has never been filled in. The right side of the bay has a large distortion at one side, with one of the "pillars" of the bay leaning quite hard.

The fact the cracks in the front bedroom (and rear bedroom) keep opening after being filled every year or two, and have done for 8 years, leads me to believe the movement is admittedly small but definitely ongoing, and given the house clearly made a big move in the past this worries me.

I'll try and get a much better picture today showing all this so the actual extent of the historic lean can be shown; so I don't appear as a total nutter moaning about a small crack which keeps opening :)

I'm just wondering if adding wall ties and patresses would arrest this lateral movement, or whether they'd be of no benefit.

The big move in the past may well have been right after it was built - as your surveyor suggested, settling in to the clay, particularly if the clay became wet during construction and subseqently shrunk as it dried. I do wonder how surveryors gauge how long ago a particular movement was - seems like witchcraft to me :D

These cracks in the bedrooms - are they actually increasing in width every year or so, or could it just be normal thermal effects are causing the filler to keep cracking in the same place as it happens to be the weakest point?

As for rectifying it if it is on the move - if it is leaning ever more because the footings are sinking then I'd guess that tying the top part of the wall isn't really going to fix anything in the long run - I can imagine the rest of the wall collapsing away underneath leaving a chunk of brickwork attached to the end of the tie bar left hanging in mid-air :D However if the upper part of the wall is slowly moving away from the house under gravity, thanks to the angle of the wall from the original movement, then tying it in would make sense.

I'd be inclined to mortar / repoint / make good the external cracks and take some measurements and monitor it for some months - then if it re-cracked externally or the measurements showed it was on the move..... time to get the insurance involved or if not going that route get a structural engineer engaged to identify what the problem actually is and to propose the solution.

Isn't it easy to give yourself nightmares over cracks in older houses :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back