Relocating Drain inspection chamber

1 Jan 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am doing a rear extension to our property which currently has an inspection cover 500 mm from the rear wall (extension will be 3 metres) and a sewer running parallel to the rear wall under the current patio 800mm from the rear wall.

I have heard of a Thames Water requirement that there must be no wall within 600mm of the new inspection cover. We planned to relocate the inspection cover beside the house in the access corridor between our property and the neighbour's property (width 1 metre), so it sounds like this proposal will possibly not be acceptable to Thames Water. If anyone can advise whether our proposal has been passed by TW in their project or tell me whether this 600mm requirement is only applicable to the direction of the drains connecting to the sewer (thus allowing rodding access) rather than in all directions, this would be most helpful :)

An alternative solution being considered is to relocate the new inspection chamber on the new patio, which would place it on the opposite side of the sewer and not above the drains connecting to the sewer. I can't imagine how this would allow rodding, but open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local