Visible Subsidence

rcs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have quite noticeable subsidence at the front of our property and a surveyor has blamed it on conifers (or similar) being removed many years ago. The sewers inspection hole is infested with dead roots and so it looks pretty grim at the onset.
My question is, if the trees were removed 10 years ago (and so no further root movement) and the drains get fixed now (drains probably collapsed and caused the subsidence), would the property still need to be underpinned? What would this entail and if there are cracks visible on the inside and outside of the front wall of the house, what would need to be done to fix it? Do bricks need to be replaced if they are cracked through the middle?

Thanks
R.

Sponsored Links
What kind of soil this house founded on in New Zealand? What is the extent of the damage caused ie are lintels cracked, internal cracks, size of external cracks, length of cracks etc.? What is the construction of the house, alot there are timber framed?
Subsidence means that the soil below the footings has lost strength enough to drop, underpinning will give the footings some solid soil to rest on again.
We normally crack stitch the cracks with helixical bars and replace the whole brick that are cracked through the middle.
Course working practices in another country do vary, talk to local builders

Hi Static.
Maybe I should change my location.....the house is in the UK, circa 1929, 2 storey, 3 bed, rendered, quarry tiles, slate dpc etc. We're looking at renovating it later in the year.
The cracks are knocking on 5mm, the survey has stated roof trusses are under strain and upstairs ceilings cracked in sympathy. The crack(s) is both inside and out on the main front wall, pretty much the full height of the building, starting in the porch at floor level. I think there's another on the adjacent side of the building too.
If it's the render, brick and internal plaster that's cracked through and the bricks are replaced, render and plaster made good, crack stitching wouldn't be necessary would it?

Further to the tree roots, the surveyor said the house may not need underpinning (subject to Struc Eng review). I couldn't imagine leaving the foundations resting on dead tree roots? And if the drain system had to be renewed, this would move the roots anyway and so back to square one with more movement?

Thanks for your help. Think I might change my location.
Cheers
R

[/url]

Yer you'll get less reponses if you have a location out of the UK.

Are you claiming on insurance for the works??
IF so they will do a full job of it with crack stitching etc.

If you are getting a structural engineer in to give advice he/she will tell you what remedial items need to be done.

Crack stitching ties the brickwork back together as currently you have a break in a panel which was never ment to be there. Just rendering over will mean that there is a high chance the crack will reappear and you would have wasted time and money on the costmetic fix.

Relaying the drain will mean they will dig up the old and replace, it shouldnt effect the foundations - unless the drains are deep, in which case the footings should be temporarily supported durring the works.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Static, makes a bit more sense now. I'm going to approach the insurance company and get their advice. Does the 'black mark' of having a claim against subsidence really make much difference when it comes to selling your house?

Yes. Or least so im told will put off about 50% of peeps looking to buy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back